Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

TCS installed today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kion is an unknown quantity at this point
TCS installed today...

initial impressions:

HELL YEAH! it sounds UNBELIEVABLY GOOD. low-end torque, same as before (at least as far as i can notice), havent been able to test the high end too well since it was pretty rainy all day today... the sound is simply unbelievable, im gonna do a few soundclips from outside the car under load so people can get a good idea of how it sounds, as well as do a few gtech 0-60's to see how the car performs in reality, and installation was a breeze (relatively anyway)
Old 01-31-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
You should write up a DIY! Pretty please. Write a DIY Kion!
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

CivicPro01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats AWESOME!!! Congrats on getting the best exhaust for our cars.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Kion is an unknown quantity at this point

<< You should write up a DIY! Pretty please. Write a DIY Kion! >>

hehe, well ayzan already wrote up a DIY for the magnaflow exhaust, and aside from replacing the resonator grommets you dont really need to do anything else, besides that the TCS actually includes instructions [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002
Civic Gurlies
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

HondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the rough
Put mine on yesterday. Have to agree with kion. Not too loud but deep. I took some clips but it juss doesn't do it justice. I'll have to wait for it to stop raining as well to get some better ones [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG].

Edit: oh come on guys. you dont need a diy.....its simple [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
$hit... you guys (and gals) are sure making it hard for me to decide on which exhaust to get. I've been tossing around Greddy EVO and the DC TCS for the last 3 months. Everytime I think I've decided for sure, I hear something good about the other one. One thing though... how do you like the TCS tip. It kinda looks weird from the pictures I've seen, but I've never seen it up close and personal.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

FiresVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
i love the way the tcs looks. but i dont think it gives enough power. im gonna go with greddy or thermal. i know they dont give as much power as the magnaflow, but i dont like the muffler on the magnaflow. so i guess im looking for a happy medium, and i think ill find it in either the greddy evo or the thermal
Old 01-31-2002
Civic Gurlies

HondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the rough
bak What do you mean by weird? Looks good to me. Sticks out a little further than i expected it to but not to bad.
heres a pics of mine...maybe it will help.....

FiresVtec No, theres not a huge power gain, thers is some difference but theres no loss.

Old 01-31-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks pretty good from that picture HondaChic! I guess the picture I saw of the tip made the angle at the end look kinda odd. Thanks !
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

rhyno is an unknown quantity at this point
can you post another pick with a more overall view. that would rock. thanks
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations man !! The TCS is a sweet exhaust !! I had debated up and fuggin down about the TCS and the EVO,
but I have decided on the EVO based on the reputation of the EVO and that the TCS has two mufflers and two 180 degree turns
before exit. 2 pennies.
Old 01-31-2002
Civic Gurlies

<< can you post another pick with a more overall view. that would rock. thanks >>

I will [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Just been busy and raining so I haven't had much of a chance to take any. Maybe tomorrow [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

paolo is an unknown quantity at this point
w3rd.
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

01IncaPearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Here are some of the pics I took of my TCS.

Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

01LX is an unknown quantity at this point
With an intake, you lose low end, but with the TCS addition, wouldn't you get that back in the end?
Old 02-01-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it have two mufflers? What does that do for you?
Old 02-01-2002
DIY King

Muffles the sound more probably. Kinda restrictive too, although some backpressure and delta pressure in these cars is a good thing. I bet the DC Sports TCS exhaust produces more horsepower than the Greddy Evolution exhaust. Although, the Greddy Evolution is probably a better choice for a turbo. It's almost straight through.
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

thats what i'm thiking to. Normally speaking, straight through is going to be the best bet, but with the way our cars are so highly tuned, i think the extra backpressure involved would actually work slightly better than some of the other catbacks. Of course, if you are going to do any serious mod (turbo, etc.) straight through is the key. I still haven't decided what i'm going to get. i am in love with the tcs sound though
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

ZZCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
This whole back pressure thing is a complete myth isn't it? How could it possible help a car to restrict the exhaust? Now then NEGATIVE back pressure, which is a pulling action through the exhaust, is really what is meant by back pressure, it actually may help pull more air into the motor for combustion.....a smooth, mandrel bent exhaust, such as the TCS is really what you want, I believe MagnaFlow is a pretty much wide open system, therefore, it may produce the best "back" pressure. However, a tuned exhuast specific for the engine is the best way to go....I would think the TCS is probably tuned where it should be, and would deliver optimal negative "back" pressure....and it does sound so rich...I am leaning toward the TCS...and perhaps a high flow cat....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
HONDACHIC and INCAPEARL,,,,,,,,did you guys put those stickers on the muffler?????????
mine came w/ none[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG].....the TCS one.

and Yes this is the best exauhst ive ever heard..........very nice!!!!!!!!!!
love it
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2002
Civic Gurlies

Its not a sticker. Its a little metal emblem. I dunno how to describe it but its not a sticker. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2002
Civic Gurlies

Oh yea nd it came already on there. You don't have anything on yours? Hmmm[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2002
DIY King

In reality there is only backpressure, but you can split this concept in half like you did. One halve can be termed negative backpressure. The negative back pressure occurs when using relatively small diameter exhaust tubing with as little bends as possible. This ensures that the exhaust gases do not cool down and therefore slow down when exiting the vehicle. The other halve can be termed positive back pressure. This is achieved with a larger diameter pipe and more bends thereby making it harder for the exhaust gases to get through the exhaust system.

An exhaust system built around the negative back pressure concept will perform well at lower rpm's.
An exhaust system built around the positive backpressure concept will perform well at higher rpm's.

There are cars out that actually have a dynamic exhaust system that raises and lowers the backpressure with the rpm's of the engine. I forget which car I've seen this on. Toyota Corolla maybe?

You can also increase performance by something called dynamic shockwave tuning. Dynamic shockwave tuning is basically what you do to an exhaust system to create a pressure wave that travels back towards the exhaust manifold and into the combustion chamber to create a negative pressure area that gets filled up with more air and fuel when the exhaust valve shuts close and the intake valve opens. End run-on sentence. However, this is mostly done through headers since the wave loses amplitude as it travels back up through the exhaust pipes. The waves are created when the diameter of the exhaust pipes changes. That's why we have 4-2-1 headers and 4-1 headers. With 4-2-1 headers two pressure waves are created and they are timed to help the engine at lower to mid rpm's. With a 4-1 header there is only one pressure wave that is created, but it's range is restricted to only one rpm range (usually high to get the most performance).

There, I hope I've cleared up the confusion I caused. These kind of posts take a freakin' long time to write though. That's why I prefer to give the short answer most times. Maybe I should switch my strategy? Fine, no more PW-like responses. From now on you will all be tortured with my long ramblings. Have a nice day!
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

Its a laser engraving.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG](or laser etched)
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
So for instance, if i were to get a high flow cat with my SRI, by better bet would be to get a straight through instead of the TCS, but if i were to keep mainly stock then the TCS would be optimal? true?
Old 02-01-2002
DIY King

I see the DS Sports TCS being good for low to medium rpm's and the Greddy Evolution being goof for high rpm's.

I don't know what would be better with a high flow catalytic converter and an AEM SRI? I don't see an intake having anything to do with the exhaust system. An intake is a whole different story. The high flow catalytic converter would probably be good for both exhausts. I'de just pick the one which satisfies your driving habits. I.E. See the first sentence.
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

If that truly is the case, i think the tcs would be the obvious choice, at least for myself. My car suffers tremendously at the lower to mids.
Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
bah! Long live Custom Exhaust!
haha no really guys..cool..i want soundclips!
Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

ZZCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Its an interesting thought, all this pressure, to write about pressure.....its ok GREY...your posts are always most imformative...
Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point
man. go w/ thermal. i love mine. nice sound, god power.

Quick Reply: TCS installed today...