Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Intake or Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicon18s is an unknown quantity at this point
Intake or Exhaust

i'm thinking about putting intake and exhaust on my car, but which one should i put on first, which one will give me the most hp out of my civic (its a 2001 LX, unfortunatly its automatic, i hate automatic but...) So which one?
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

04CivicLX is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say exhaust just cause it will sound cooler.................but both are viable choices
Old 07-22-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
They're both just for sound, but you might get lucky and have 3hp. Once the sound gets annoying, you'll just end up taking it back off.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
both are a waste of money and will not give you any gains.... just sound. search this site and you will see that intake/header/exhaust is a waste of money because the gains are almost not here.

best perforamce stuff you can get is suspension stuff..... so buy that.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I say get the intake first. That is me though. Like hustlelikemofo said, the gains wont be there, they are just good for sound. So it is up to you.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

HoldDaMayo is an unknown quantity at this point
aem v2 intake adds a good amount of top end for LX
header will add some good midrange power for lx, especially DC... exhaust won't do much
Old 07-22-2004
We pre-game harder than you party!

supermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the rough
ehh...do intake or just take off your resonator.....sounds like an intake, but without the cost
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
umm...get tananbe srm catback exhaust...
catback exhausts will do something!
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

04CivicLX is an unknown quantity at this point
just trade your car in for a ferrari then you will defiately see the performance upgrades
Old 07-23-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
well intake takes power from one side of your power band depending on what type as in sri or cai. I say go with exhuast. But what I really say is save the money for suspension mods or turbo.
Old 07-23-2004
Registered!!

aznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really nice
if you want to be recognized by other racers put the exhaust on...i seriously think an intake can really hold off...cuz if you plan on turbo u will most likely get rid of it...
Old 07-23-2004
Registered!!

wogz is an unknown quantity at this point
save your money, 500 dollars for exhaust or 200 for intake isn't worth it, for that money u can get a full nitrous kit that will actually do something, or u can buy a turbo, just a turbo (not a full kit) and have one to keep in ur room or keep it in the windshield of ur car so people can see it and hold it out the window and wave it around. Plus u can tell peole u have a turbo, cuz technically u do
Old 07-23-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
Originally Posted by wogz
save your money, 500 dollars for exhaust or 200 for intake isn't worth it, for that money u can get a full nitrous kit that will actually do something, or u can buy a turbo, just a turbo (not a full kit) and have one to keep in ur room or keep it in the windshield of ur car so people can see it and hold it out the window and wave it around. Plus u can tell peole u have a turbo, cuz technically u do

not if you go custom or used for the exhuast and not if you get a used intake or find a site which is most that sells aem intakes for pretty cheap.
Old 07-23-2004
Registered!!

faultyscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't get either - invest the money somewhere else. An intake or exhaust, or both, will give you really great sound - you'll sound really fast but my stock 03' EX would still be able to beat you since the intake or exhaust won't give you much gains, if any at all. I was going to invest in an I/H/E when I first joined the site but quickly came to realize that gains from them are almost non-existant and a waste of $$$. Maybe if you do all 3 you'll get some good gains but just one will do nothing. It's a waste IMO - put the $$$ towards something more worth while! If you want good sound - invest in a new sound system! lol
Old 07-23-2004
Banned by Admin

but if you do go the turbo rought ever you are going to want to get an exhuast eventually.
Old 07-23-2004
Registered!!

faultyscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
^true
Old 07-23-2004
Registered!!

so intake and exhaust do nothing? How come everybody is always like " man i just got some intake and my **** is a lot quicker" is that just bull ****? My problem, which is everybody's problem, is money i just got a job i start monday make 8 per hour 6 hours a day so hopefully soon i will be able to afford some ****...I have another question though... Since i have an automatic am i hopeless on making it fast?
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

mb28 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would personally buy an intake for sound and little more response if there is any.
I do have a v2 intake in my civic lx auto. I used to have a cat-back from magnaflow but I got tired of the sound while driving at low speeds. So I put back my factory exhaust and I personally think that car has gotten quicker on low end my high end power remains the same.
Old 07-24-2004
Bod
Registered!!

Bod is an unknown quantity at this point
For me, it is not always how much hp I can get, but there's also response. If I feel the response is better/quicker then it is enough to satisfie me. I don't really like to floor the gas pedal but I like to accelerate gradually and feel the thrust. I suggest an intake first and see how you like it, because it's cheaper than exhaust. OR you can put grounding cable first, I read that it can improve the shifting response for auto.
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

what is a ground cable? And how do i go about doing that, how much does it cost? Thanks for all the suggestions though guys i appreciate it, i really really like this site, its great for beginners like my self.