Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

K&N Air Filters are BAD (fipk solution! PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
How about cleaning the intake manifold. How would you do it? Just run a rug through it?
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I have no idea. You can't just remove it from the car. Takes alot of work. And ours is plastic, so I don't think you want to be spraying stuff in there.

I'm working on my intake problem now, and I'll try and have pics soon. So far so good.
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Okay everyone. Problem solved for fipk users. I found a purolator conical paper filter that fits almost exactly. It was blue, so I had to paint it black with high temp engine paint. I did not use the adaptor for the fipk because the new filter slipped right onto the tube. It also has a rubber surround in the back that almost perfectly fits in the heat shield hole. Day pics coming soon cause it got too dark!

Oh and get this...the new paper filter has twice as many pleats as the K&N = more surface area. The fipk also got alot louder with the paper filter. So far so good.

Purolator OWNS K&N!

Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

BlackVic is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks great! I'm glad you found a solution. Would this work with all intakes, where did you get it and for what price, and did they come in red?
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member

Well it fits the fipk pipe perfectly. I imagine other intakes will also be a close fit. I got it from advance auto parts. All they carry are purolator filters and the number is A25306 premium plus air filter. For the color, they all come in blue since it's an OEM replacement. But like I said, mine is painted black now with high heat paint. So just tape off the filter part and spray with your favorite color! I'm so glad this worked out. Car is running great again with much better filtration. At most I would need to buy and paint a new one once a year. Definately worth the trouble for better filtration and maybe better performance? It has 2x more surface area than K&N.
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member

Only small problem is the intake is just pushed in the filter. No room for clamps or anything, but it felt like it was in there tight.
Old 06-14-2004
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
gearbox, i see you frequent the oil drop too. best forum for gear heads.
Old 06-14-2004
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
could have taken the underwear outta the shot of the pic. heh.

as for purolator, pepboy carries it.. some of them carries the cone shaped ones too.. although it varies on location.

http://www.pureoil.com/
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

BlackVic is an unknown quantity at this point
so, since its paper you can;t really clean it... and if i have to paint it every time i buy a new one. Sounds like a lot of money and time. Although i might be the only person on this site who has the worst filter... Weapon-r. I might have to consider it.

Last edited by BlackVic; 06-14-2004 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2004
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
u dont have to paint it if u dont care about the color. and i'm sure u can find one thats black.

and yes you'll have to replace it per honda's recommendation.. although purolator recommends 7,500 miles (unless otherwise suggested by manufacture).. lol.. 7,500 would be crazy on the wallet.

and they carry cabin air filter for our cars too. although for the price I prefer the stock micronair.
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member

Purolator recommends changing it once a year on the box. I only paid $14 for the filter and $5 for the paint that will last me a long time. Not that much money at all.And it maybe will take 30 mins to paint and dry. Just wrap filter in masking tape, spray a couple coats, let dry 20 mins, and put it on.
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member

SkipBarber--thanks for that site! I learned so much as you can see.

CapYoda--thanks for the web link for the filter.
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Purolator, my favorite oil filter, and my opinion the best for the casual street driver with
out wanting to part out $$$ for all that synthetic and fancy filters some of you cats use... I am sticking with my K&N drop in ....I will check my TB and let ya'll know if it is dirty..
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member

Just remember that alot of the dirt that the K&N lets through goes straight in the engine and causes gradual damage. The K&N is proven to only give a 0.14% better flow rate over paper. Is it really worth the risk?
Old 06-14-2004
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i have this fight in my mind about once a year, but I've kept my injen CAI on my car for almost a year now. I take my filter out and the pipe is always dust free. I think a major factor is your overall driving conditions. If you live in a overall dusty area, a paper filter may work better. I live on the east coast and it rains frequently here, especially at this time of year, lots of rain = less dust in the air, less dust in the air = OK to use cotton filter. Consider that. Consider the type of oil you use, and how frequently you do your oil change. On a stock intake setup, id do the oil/oil filter change as frequently as the manual states, on any type of EXPOSED filter element Id say its safer to do the change at 3k miles.
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

MTFlyBoy should not be trusted
hey gearbox i dunno where ur getting ur numbers for the .14% flowrate increase but i'm looking here on k&n's website and their graphs are showin quite a bit more of an increase in flow rate (441 CFM for k&n and 319 CFM for the avg aftermarket ones), maybe there's another reason for ur engine getting the black lung...

-FlyBoy
Old 06-15-2004
Premium Member

But you didn't find the fine particle test they did. Why? Because nobody would buy their filters if they posted it. K&N is trying to sell their product and will post up only the info that will make them look good. I'm basing my conclusions on real world tests that individuals have performed, and oil analysis. You can't always believe everything you hear.

This is a REAL test performed without bias to K&N.

http://www.mcagraphix.com/filter/filtflow.htm
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

evanl85 is an unknown quantity at this point
What I don't understand is, if your throttle body is full of carbon buildup, how would that be from the air coming into your engine? Wouldn't it make more sense if it was dirt buildup, not carbon?
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

MTFlyBoy should not be trusted
evanl85: thank god someone else is asking that, i've been asking ever since he posted this but haven't got an answer...

gearbox: what u linked to was a pressure test for the k&n filter NOT a flow rate test, if it were flow rate they would report their findings in cubic feet per minute (cfm) or something similar to that

-FlyBoy
Old 06-15-2004
Premium Member

Well there's alot more info. I should just post all the links, and there's also the other forum under air filters.

The buildup is not necessarily carbon on the TB. It's just really fine black powder, probably from dirt and stuff. Came off real easy, so I doubt it's carbon. Also I thought that only air passes through the top part of the TB, so how can the buildup come from anything else but air?
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

brash is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearbox, I think you meant this link:
http://www.mcagraphix.com/filter/filttest.htm
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

evanl85 is an unknown quantity at this point
The breather tube is where it would come from, though that means something is wrong.
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm, not sure if it is in fact the K&N, it could be, as some products may be defective or your environment is worse than others, but here's my exp w/ it...

Installed FIPK2 at 24,000 miles

Carbon buildup check at 30,000 service passed

Carbon buildup check at 60,000 service passed

Carbon buildup check at 90,000 service no pass (TB had to be cleaned and engine carbon was flushed, the Honda techs said the carbon buildup was normal for a car w/ so much miles, but actually they even stated it was a little less than they expected from a car with the amount of mileage mine had, 92k and I live in a desert)

I currently have 110k miles, but my car still dynos at around 111whp, not bad for a car with a ton of miles (might be because I have FIPK2, VAFC2, and Venom module for perf mods)

I clean my FIPK2 2 - 3 times a year and check my TB every other oil change which is usually spotless everytime.

The cone filter itself does in fact get quite dirty, but my TB is still spotless.

Maybe, I'm just lucky (crashes head several times on wooden desk)
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

tom0826 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Gearbox. BTW, been wondering how the new head is working out for you. What kind of differences you notice?

Anyways, I had to add my 2 cents here about K&N filters.

I think we all know that the oiled filters are more pourous. In all of the oiled filters, the media that filters out the micronic dirt is the oil. The element itself is designed to hold the oil and keep away big chunks... not to filter the fine dust.

The first problem with an oiled filter is that it disperses the oil in the intake tract i.e. your throttle body, and the CAI tube. It's a layer of oil that attracts and keeps hold of the small pieces of dirt that was not trapped by your filter.

The next is that all oiled filters require very frequent maintenance. I personally wouldn't go past 3000 miles without cleaning and re-oiling an oiled filter. Not enough oil means you are letting in dirt. Enough oil and not enough cleaning means you have a caked layer of dirt on the filter that can cause airflow to be below what a stock dirty can flow.

Your paper element seems like a good solution. I personally would stay away from oiled filters for street driven cars, and haven't used them for years.
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

gizcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
here is site u can get the green filter from

http://www.7453217467431.com/search/...&affiliate=DFX
Old 06-15-2004
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Damn, You gotta love the forums on 7thgen. I don't post alot but I do read the threads to gain knowledge of how to mod my ride, what products are best for our cars. I decided to buy the FIPK2 because of gearbox and other members who have posted saying its one of the best SRI for our rides. I knew that with high flow filters you sacriface filtration. With that note when I replaced the stock airbox I did notice the TB to be dirty so I cleaned it, installed the FIPK and I love it. When I was installing the intake tube I noticed there was dust inside the tube I cleaned it with a wet rag. Gearbox did you notice any dust before you installed the intake tube the first time? I think the TB gets dirty(oil/carbon/dirt/= black stuff) from the tube that goes to the valve cover or head. When I did my first oil change after installing the FIPK I did notice the dino to be alot more dirty(darker) than before. I also switched to Mobil 1. Gearbox Nice job on finding a paper filter that fits snugly into the FIPK. Thats why I love the forums. Next mod for me will be the kamikaze header. Prozac rules.
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

are6 is on a distinguished road
Just thought this was kinda funny....

Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

sp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of light
^haha
Old 06-15-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

JX6 has a spectacular aura aboutJX6 has a spectacular aura about
If these filters really mess up cars..it's what i need to have an excuse for gettin rid of my civic.
Old 06-15-2004
Premium Member

All done!

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filters are BAD (fipk solution! PICS)