Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Biggest performance parts letdowns for our cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Biggest performance parts letdowns for our cars

Things that were supposed to produce lots of hp but didn't.

Let's see, I can think of:

Gude package
KMS intake manifold
DH Pulley
Helix power tower throttle body spacer (Hey Kazell, where's that dyno you promised us?)

What else can you think of?
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

rysbrnr is an unknown quantity at this point
how disapointing were the parts?Just got an 04 so I hope it's not that bad.
Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Since you're new here, you probably missed all the drama with those parts.

Here's what you missed:

All of them had big intros about them. Some one or some company representative would be like "yeah there's this new part and it's going to be awesome" blah blah blah and got everyone's hopes up.

Gude package - this was before I came here. It was like a cam regrind and port and polished heads or something. I don't remember exactly. But the point is it was supposed to give us tons of power and it didn't.

KMS intake manifold - KMS was supposed to make us an intake manifold that would give us lots of power. People got it, dynoed it, and ended up losing power. Oops! They say it works well if you have turbo, but no one was told that you would need turbo for it to work.

DH Pulley - This pulley was supposed to give "20 whp." But it turns out that it a) didn't, and b) is harmful to your engine.

Helix power tower throttle body spacer - this was supposed to add like 5hp or something for only $80. Some guy said he'd dyno it and post it if a vendor gave him one for free. He got the free one and then kept making up excuses as to why he didn't get it dynoed. That was like a year ago and still no dyno (as far as I know). Anyway, this piece doesn't even fit with a lot of after market intakes because it raises the intake about 1", which would cause some aftermarket intakes to hit the hood.

Since you're new here I don't know how much you know, but if you're a newbie to cars, don't believe ads that you read. Some companies who I won't mention here claim that their exhausts or whatever will give you +15hp. That's BS. And if someone shows a dyno chart, make sure you see if it's a REAL dyno chart, and not one that someone made on Excel.
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

GucciDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
i just wonder why big companies like Greddy and others dont
make parts for our cars so we get over and with this issue, i mean when the Si first came out they rushed into making turbo kits for them and also the 350Z, they made a twin turbo for athat also vortech made a supercharger for it.i assume that more people have EM2's over those cars and they still insisting that its a waste of their time and money!
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

Kung is an unknown quantity at this point
Which SI are you talking about?? The older SI (aka 2000 model) is a DOHC B series engine. The parts for that engine were already around and easily designed because companies were already building parts for other B series engines from back in the CRX days.

If you're talking about the NEW SI that looks like a mini van, then it's also because the engine is a stronger base to start off with, and dont forget that it's a DOHC engine.

SOHC's will always come in second place when it comes to a major company like Greddy or HKS developing any type of turbo kit.

Slap a turbo on a civic and you've got about a 13 second car with stock internals?? Slap a turbo on a 350z and you have a sub 13 second car. I dont know about you, but most Civic owners cant afford turbo kits. Most 350z owners can afford turbo kits, so they build it for them.

Even though the SF turbo kit is out and proven to work, I have yet to meet a person with it on their civic, and I live in Austin. BUT i have seen a 350z turbo.

They are in it for the money, and the money is with the ppl that can afford a 25-30k car. If I could have afforded a 30k car, I would have a Lancer Evo or RX-8, but since I cant afford it, I drive around a civic and just hope one day I can save enough pennies to slap a turbo on just so I can keep up with those 30k cars.
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's an addition to the list:

Any $200 Intake
Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yup. Don't forget the intake, exhaust, header. There are so many parts out there that give nearly no power at all.
Old 05-02-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Biggest let down.... any thing that didnt deal with the suspension....
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by gearbox
Yup. Don't forget the intake, exhaust, header. There are so many parts out there that give nearly no power at all.
Thats not entirely true..... you get a lot of noise from i/h/e
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

nunzio42 is an unknown quantity at this point
yah when honda got rid of the double wishbone suspension sooo many people were upset.....the new suspension actually has worked out well and just about (about being the key word) every suspension part issued has been a possitive upgrade for the car.

MY fav part so far is still the REVO SS (best value)
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

dragin will become famous soon enoughdragin will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Zzyzx
Biggest let down.... any thing that didnt deal with the suspension....
my thoughts exactly
Old 05-03-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
Any engine bolt on i.e. intake, header, and exhaust. F.I. or swap is the way to go.
Old 05-03-2004
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
IMO, the best attribute our cars have is the styling.. The lines on our cars are positively scrumtious(sp?)..

Performance = blah.
Old 05-03-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I feel the best upgrade is the RSX sway bar. It's effective at all times, even under normal driving, it shows!