Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

ECU upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
ECU upgrade suggestions

If im looking to upgrade performance with "tuning" the ecu

What should i get, im not doing anything major like boost but mostly bolt ons...I think my last bolt on for a while will be a 65mm flowing TB.

I was thinking
Jet chip
Venom control module thing
Greddy emanage
or the VAFC2

Whats the best for the $$

Im thinking jet chip will be easiest but will they configure it just right for my mods???
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
we may never know until you post your specs of your car..... kinda spookie huh? What do you have man? is there something u gots that we dont know about!?!?!?!?
Old 04-08-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Definately not the e-manage. I know a friend who has one on his teg and he got rid of it after a week because it sucked so bad.

I'd go with the VAFC and get it dyno tuned. Depending on your mods you can probably push about 7-10 horses out with it.

Of course the AEM EMS wouldn't hurt either......
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Project2k2
Definately not the e-manage. I know a friend who has one on his teg and he got rid of it after a week because it sucked so bad.

I'd go with the VAFC and get it dyno tuned. Depending on your mods you can probably push about 7-10 horses out with it.

Of course the AEM EMS wouldn't hurt either......
If you say that you are an idiot - the E-manage is a glorified version of the VAFC, it does the same and more.....Get your facts straight before posting crap next time.

As far as the Jet ECU, I wouldn't waste my money on it. I've emailed jet about it, and all they claim to do is modify the stock Air / Fuel maps when the car is at WOT. Other times it won't matter.

There's also an interesting post over on the clubrsx forums regarding how Jet is a sham company - that they sold someone there an upgraded ECU claiming to get 10-20 horses out of it on the top end. I believe the member just took the ECU apart and found a sticker placed over their chip or something. Apparently they have been claiming to modify a lot of different ECUs that cannot be modified (ie by replacing the chip, or reburning the program).....don't get scewed.

As far as other options - I am not aware of any that are available at the moment. The AEM EMS may be available / may become available shortly - but its about $2000 and that doesn't include dyno or tuning time (factor another $500 at most into that for tuning).....
Old 04-08-2004
Premium Member

Originally posted by opto_isolator
If you say that you are an idiot - the E-manage is a glorified version of the VAFC, it does the same and more.....Get your facts straight before posting crap next time.
Maybe you didn't hear me correctly. Glorified version or not, my friend and I thought it sucked.

What's crappy about posting personall experience man? You need to ****ing shut up before posting crap like that.

You can disagree with me....fine. But don't sit there and call me an idiot.
Old 04-08-2004
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
Swap in a K series and get K-Pro.. bam done... and dont call Project2k2 an idiot.. Derek knows his ****
Old 04-08-2004
Premium Member

opto knows his **** too, just don't think greddy e-manage is worth it.
Old 04-08-2004
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
just don't think greddy e-manage is worth it.
its not worth it at all.. and yes i have had an experence with it
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

truehonda has a spectacular aura abouttruehonda has a spectacular aura about
I have a VAFC and have sold many VAFC II to the 7thgenners. The Greddy and Apexi are similar and the greddy does offer a bit more features. The nice thing about the apexi is that is a whole unit with a display (greddy needs to be tuned but cant be monitored if only buying the emange unless you have gauges etc). The apexi is easy to use (so is greddy). I personally like the apex'i a lot more and have heard trouble with the greddy. I am not going to bring up examples bc in the end its people and not the product that break things. If you want I have them in stock ready to go - APEXI VAFC II

www.truehonda.com under electronics
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Comes in black or silver
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

thanks for the input...i really dont care about monitoring...i just want something that will work, Well

aem is waay too much $$
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

I would love to buy from you but time and time again im cheap and i like to get things at the best price....you dont have the best price for the VAFC2

BUT i will be buying that breakupgade you pm'd me about!!
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Maybe you didn't hear me correctly. Glorified version or not, my friend and I thought it sucked.

What's crappy about posting personall experience man? You need to ****ing shut up before posting crap like that.

You can disagree with me....fine. But don't sit there and call me an idiot.
I called you an idiot because you said the emanged sucked, than recommended the VAFC. If you are recommending this based on what it does you are an idiot - they do the same thing, except the e-manage can control timing, and has a laptop interface and can tune better. There are other tuners out there than don't know the differences either - and they are idiots too.....
Old 04-08-2004
9K Redline Owns U

I called you an idiot because you said the emanged sucked, than recommended the VAFC. If you are recommending this based on what it does you are an idiot - they do the same thing, except the e-manage can control timing, and has a laptop interface and can tune better. There are other tuners out there than don't know the differences either - and they are idiots too.....
So if someone has a difference of opinion then you they are an idiot. Yea that makes perfect sense.
Old 04-08-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
I bought JETchip upgrade for 239.00 off of http://www.jcwhitney.com

I was pleasantly surprised with the results, however I replaced it because it causes you
to use 91 octane ALL THE TIME!!

I now have the Venom VCN 400... I noticed my 1/4 mile time dor .3 seconds for the better,
plus it will only activate when dirving agressively. Easy hookup compared to ripping out our ECU. That thing is locked in pretty good hbeind the glove box.

ECU Location
Old 04-08-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
emanage is way better than a vafc, it does the same and more. and project2k2 have u actually had experience in tuning it, have u input numbers and taken out degrees of timing, or tried setting the vtec to a differnt engagement point

when the emanage is up on the laptop screen and ur driving along u can see the grids light up yellow, and if u have a problem u can go fix it bc its highlighted

u wanna talk about tuning try a ACCEL DFI
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

I got both on sale again: www.truehonda.com

I price match

sorry for being such a good thread hijacker
Old 04-08-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
im sure there is a vafc on ebay somewhere for a buck, price match!!!!!

jk
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Ok, ill try to price match -- BUT NO EBAY bc they sell gray market Apexi which is ****!!!
Old 04-08-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

As far as the Jet ECU, I wouldn't waste my money on it. I've emailed jet about it, and all they claim to do is modify the stock Air / Fuel maps when the car is at WOT. Other times it won't matter.

There's also an interesting post over on the clubrsx forums regarding how Jet is a sham company - that they sold someone there an upgraded ECU claiming to get 10-20 horses out of it on the top end. I believe the member just took the ECU apart and found a sticker placed over their chip or something. Apparently they have been claiming to modify a lot of different ECUs that cannot be modified (ie by replacing the chip, or reburning the program).....don't get scewed.
Jet uses 1 of 3 methods to set the record straight. The tuning can be delivered in the form of a chip that replaces the stock computer chip, a chip that piggy-backs the stock computer chip, a chip that plugs into the back of the stock computer, or a module that intercepts and modifies the signals from the stock computer with JET Performance Power Tuning. They also offer custom programs as well. They change fuel curves, advance timing, shift firmness, shift points, top speed, rev limit (on some apps), and axle ratios, engine and transmission parameters like RPM, manifold air pressure, mass air flow, coolant temperature, intake air temperature....

Jet has been around for eons doing muscle and domestics for years. Some people swear by them. They are fairly new to the import scene and are trying to use the same concepts on imports. I am not too sure that it is working as well, but people expect to have the car feel like a rocket with it in there. Like all of a sudden they have a Turbonetics T3 in there....It's not gonna happen. Even 10whp is hard to notice on a car. Maybe slightly more pep....??? I am not endorsing them, but I am sick of people bashing them for lack of knowledge. Like I said previosuly, they have a hell of a rep with domestics and american muscle.

Last edited by dezod; 04-08-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Spider883
So if someone has a difference of opinion then you they are an idiot. Yea that makes perfect sense.
No. I don't think you understand. Lets take an example:

Product A - writes upside down, inside out, blah blah blah. Costs $300

Product B - writes upside down, inside out, blah blah blah BLAH (get that one extra blah?). Costs $350

Which would be the better product for the price? Product B. If A does the same thing as B does, but has more features / functions, which would you rather have for virtually the same price? I am not saying that the VAFC is bad - in fact I think its cool. I'm saying that I would be a fool for buying a VAFC instead of an Emanage for the cost, because the Emanage does the same - and MORE - for not a whole lot more in cost.....See my point yet? Everyone is entitled to their opinion about how the products ARE, I am speaking primarily of a feature vs cost comparison....
Old 04-08-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
DO NOT GET JET ECU.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...hlight=jet+ecu

$300 for JET sticker.
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Jet is out there but I have one question. Do they tune the ECU to dynoed specs? And is it reporgrammable by the user?

Bc if its not, it falls into the catagorey of the mugen, skunk2, etc ECU chips that are complete crap. All those do is dump a crap load of fuel and lean out where it is usually found on the engine and disable many codes so you the driver think your running fine, when your really not. That is why I always say -- take it to a dyno, get a graph, and tune at the time of dyno or afterwards (if its too expensive and you only wanna do pulls)

Thanks,

Eddie
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by civicvtec1ps
DO NOT GET JET ECU.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...hlight=jet+ecu

$300 for JET sticker.
Exactly what I was talking about.....
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont wanna get caught up in the arguement but i need to share this i have a friend with a 99 si and he had the vafc2 and sold it and now has a emanage because he dynoed both and the emanage made alot more power he has all the bolts on everything and high compression pistons, he said that the vafc2 only controls air and fuel alone but the emanage controls ignition timing aswell and that is very beneficial and you make more power so i think the emanage would be better for out car especially since we dont have a distributor and cant advance timing
Old 04-08-2004
9K Redline Owns U

Hondata K-Pro.. once they come out with base maps for the Si thats what ill be getting.. Kpro is better then both of them.. but alot more expensive
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by truehonda
Ok, ill try to price match -- BUT NO EBAY bc they sell gray market Apexi which is ****!!!

Explain that one to me again
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by dezod
Jet uses 1 of 3 methods to set the record straight. The tuning can be delivered in the form of a chip that replaces the stock computer chip, a chip that piggy-backs the stock computer chip, a chip that plugs into the back of the stock computer, or a module that intercepts and modifies the signals from the stock computer with JET Performance Power Tuning. They also offer custom programs as well. They change fuel curves, advance timing, shift firmness, shift points, top speed, rev limit (on some apps), and axle ratios, engine and transmission parameters like RPM, manifold air pressure, mass air flow, coolant temperature, intake air temperature....

Jet has been around for eons doing muscle and domestics for years. Some people swear by them. They are fairly new to the import scene and are trying to use the same concepts on imports. I am not too sure that it is working as well, but people expect to have the car feel like a rocket with it in there. Like all of a sudden they have a Turbonetics T3 in there....It's not gonna happen. Even 10whp is hard to notice on a car. Maybe slightly more pep....??? I am not endorsing them, but I am sick of people bashing them for lack of knowledge. Like I said previosuly, they have a hell of a rep with domestics and american muscle.

Jet may have worked for previous ECUs - but the newer Honda ones either CANNOT be reflashed due to code blocks (the chip is protected with a password of sorts - its different for every chip), or simply becasuse its soldered to the board. Everyone at the clubrsx forums found it hard to believe that jet could do ANYTHING to their ECU - they opened it up and found a sticker on their chip, which was not desoldered, nor could it be reprogrammed. The only folks who have done any work with the K20 ECU are hondata.

As far as what jet "claims" to be able to do with our ECU - I emailed them and they said exactly what I had posted before - only changing timing and the A/F trims at WOT, period.....
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point
can you explain the difference ?

Originally posted by truehonda
Old 04-09-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Jet chip basically is a piggyback chip, it advances igniton timing 5 degrees, and changes the fuelmap for 91 octane.

Now you can't run N2O with a Jetchip because you will run into detonation.

Quick Reply: ECU upgrade suggestions