Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Least obnoxious intake? (Video of my AEM CAI inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GabberHead is an unknown quantity at this point
Least obnoxious intake? (Video of my AEM CAI inside)

Good lord people, after searching and reading 30min worth of posts I've got a migraine.

Bah.. anyway, my 2001 EX 5 speed Coupe daily driver's AEM CAI is starting to get really annoying. Anything above 2500 rpm and it just gets obnoxious. I usually shift high up in the band, I'd say 4-5k. Drive it like I stole it cause I have to to get it to go anywhere.

Don't tell me to go back to stock, I don't want to. Even if I did, I doubt I can find all the bolts and brackets of the stock system.

Anyway, who makes the quietest intake? PLEASE only people with first hand experience respond!!! Those that swapped from CAI to SRI or vice versa or those that have audio or video of your intake revving to redline would be great.

Also, I could car less about performance or what the intake looks like.

Here's a short 1.8meg vid of me revving to about ~2500 I believe and you can tell the intake is already getting loud.

http://www.members.***.net/mkm1009/a...ke%20movie.MPG
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I have the same intake and its not that loud..... not sure why yours would be louder, maybe you need to clean the filter... anyways... now that i have my exhaust I can't even hear the intake except when I turn my car off... I kinda miss hearing the sound when I just had the intake....
Old 08-19-2003
7thgen Man-gina

01WingsWestCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
isnt aem a two piece system? so couldnt you take the cai extension off and just make it into a short ram system? i have the aem sri and its quiet, just makes a bit of noise when you need it to
Old 08-19-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Quietest intake is stock...
Deal with the noise or go back. Thats really all you can do.
The Injen RD is gonna be a little quieter since the filter is down in the bumper and theres lots of plastic to shield the noise. It resonates about 6000 RPM so it'll get louder there, but it really doesn't bother me below that. Just get used to it.

Here's an all out run... it was really for my exhaust, but its so quiet the intake takes over a little towards the end.
Here
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

BoSS is an unknown quantity at this point
whats wrong with it? Sounds like my AEM CAI
Old 08-19-2003
Bay Area

NytRyder2k2 is on a distinguished road
I would think that a SRI is louder than a CAI. Who knows maybe im wrong
Old 08-19-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally posted by NytRyder2k2
I would think that a SRI is louder than a CAI. Who knows maybe im wrong
yea my injen sri was louder than injen cai for me
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Sometimes I wish my intake sounded a bit louder.

I have a AEM CAI with bypass valve. I believe mine is as quiet as it is due to the bypass valve. I have yet to hear what its like with the bypass removed, but I suggest giving that a try.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by 01WingsWestCivic
isnt aem a two piece system? so couldnt you take the cai extension off and just make it into a short ram system? i have the aem sri and its quiet, just makes a bit of noise when you need it to
Yes, I have the two piece, pics are in sig.

I was thinking of maybe doing that, thanks for suggesting. It looks like another member on the board did exactly that... turn the AEM CAI into a SRI using just the upper tube.

Here's the thread:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...cai+first+half

Most important for me was this part:

2) The car is a LOT quieter... almost as quiet as stock. In low RPMs, it's so quiet all I picked up was wind & road noise. In high RPMs, I can't even tell when the VTEC kicks in as I actually could before, even with a lil throttle manipulation. Right here, it's is slightly louder than stock. I found this as a pro and a con. It's a pro because the intake doesn't attract so much attention even in a downshift. To say the least, driving long distances is a lot more pleasant. I'm also quite sure that the car even idles quieter.
Sounds like I've got some wrenching to do when I get home. I'll try to see if I can post some videos of wrapping it up to redline with the AEM CAI vs AEM CAI w/o the bottom tube.

Last edited by GabberHead; 08-19-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by BoSS
whats wrong with it? Sounds like my AEM CAI
Because it resonates to the point of being obnoxiously loud.

Ricer Loud = attention I don't want.

If I want to drive around w/ an obnoxious intake/exhaust system.... I'll take the Firehawk out for a spin
Old 08-19-2003

importz2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds great to me, but if you don't like it.................
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
whyd you get an intake if you dont want the sound? thats retarded. just be sure not to get an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

2k3HonCivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
fo real, intakes not that loud, get used to it, or dont. but dont cry about the sound when you knew what it was like going into it.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

03CivicEX03 should not be trusted03CivicEX03 should not be trusted
it is me or it sound like bov?
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
install a bypass filter...it will not be as loud, you can also try one of those heatshielded intake filters..that will also lower the sound level a lil
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

but to answer your question...check out the weapon R system or the volant CAI system both should be the quiestest...Also that racer design intake sysystem is quiet i hear
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Importz2k1
It sounds great to me, but if you don't like it.................
it sounds great...
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
mines not all that loud over my exhaust i can hear it hiss after i turn the car off but if you want quiet maybe something with an airbox around it. There are two out there cant remember the names of them no
Old 08-19-2003
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I have the Tsudo CAI - definately close to no sound. The engine gets a little louder, but there's no intake throaty scream when you punch it. Still feels good though. You can get it for less than $100 on nopi.com. That's seriously the quietest intake i've heard on anyones car, never mind just civics.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by R3DL1N3
whyd you get an intake if you dont want the sound? thats retarded. just be sure not to get an aftermarket exhaust.
And you my friend, have nicely summed up what it means to be a ricer. All show, no go. Good job.

Originally posted by 2k3HonCivicEX
fo real, intakes not that loud, get used to it, or dont. but dont cry about the sound when you knew what it was like going into it.
I got the intake for the reported hp increase. Belive me, sound was NOT a deciding factor. Hell, I didn't even know it'd be an obnoxious mod until after I took it for a test ride after I put the intake on.

Bah, back on topic. I took the lower pipe off and couldn't be happier. Below 4k you can barely hear the intake like before. It dosen't whistle or growl like the CAI, which is a plus for me. Now when you let off the gas it dosen't do the faux bov sound either which is another plus for me.

Under easy to mild acceleration, the car sounds nearly stock. If I WOT and wrap it up redline I can still make it sound ricey and obnoxious though. Throttle response does seem to be quicker, though the car isn't as 'rev happy' now. Running it past 4k takes determination. Which isn't a bad thing in my book, hopefully I'll pick up a mile or two in MPG now that I won't be wrapping it redline all the time now.

Edit- Oh and yeah, thanks to those that posted constructive comments to this thread.
Old 08-19-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
If you're worried about go and not show, put a header wrap on it, tight. This will not only help keep some hot air out and insulate the pipe, but the main thing you are hearing that is annoying is the aluminum piping resonating with the vibrations of air passing through it at high speed. By wrapping it you will dampen the amount of vibrations thus creating a quieter intake.
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
dynomat the intake is basically what he is saying
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

ninerfan17 is an unknown quantity at this point
V2

Is the V2 cai quiter then the aem cai?
Old 08-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=362949
Old 08-21-2003
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
I like Injen in comparision to AEM. My girl has AEM, I have Injen....quality is better on Injen and I like the smooth sound better...
Old 08-21-2003
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting find, D....
Old 08-22-2003
Registered!!

jkim1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
i wish my aem cai is loud.... mines not even loud and i can't even hear it.... first when i had my muffler and the intake installed... i thought my intake was loud... but i tried putting on the silencer on my muffler.. and it was just my muffler sounding loud.. not the intake...... my friend who has a aem cai in his 98 honda accord.... that intake is hella loud.... wish mine was like that....
Old 08-22-2003
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
jkim make your aem CAI into a SRI it should be louder
Old 08-22-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by VTECTypeR
jkim make your aem CAI into a SRI it should be louder
Don't you guys ever read posts???????

Originally posted by GabberHead
Bah, back on topic. I took the lower pipe off and couldn't be happier. Below 4k you can barely hear the intake like before. It dosen't whistle or growl like the CAI, which is a plus for me. Now when you let off the gas it dosen't do the faux bov sound either which is another plus for me.

Under easy to mild acceleration, the car sounds nearly stock. If I WOT and wrap it up redline I can still make it sound ricey and obnoxious though. Throttle response does seem to be quicker, though the car isn't as 'rev happy' now. Running it past 4k takes determination. Which isn't a bad thing in my book, hopefully I'll pick up a mile or two in MPG now that I won't be wrapping it redline all the time now.

Edit- Oh and yeah, thanks to those that posted constructive comments to this thread.
Old 08-22-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
lol.

another great civic owner. *rollseye*

btw, since you seem to be so into power in a civic (rollseye again), you're losing power when you do that (swapping it into an sri)

you're better off stock + drop in filter than that setup... at least you dont lose low end torque.. and you get more mpg.

the volant system might be near stock, since filter is incased within a box.

I make fun of my car sometimes, cuz it is darn slow. and you do have to rev the hell out of it.

but I dont understand why some peopel drop 15-17k into a car and get surprised when it isn't fast or its too slow.

Quick Reply: Least obnoxious intake? (Video of my AEM CAI inside)