Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Trying to match an exhaust... (UPDATE: JDM Gunea Pig)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Trying to match an exhaust... (UPDATE: JDM Gunea Pig)

OK... so I've really been thinking about this a lot. After all... you hear it. And it's the difference between a weedwacker and something pleasing to listen to for everyone (including those walking along the sidewalk next to your car)...
So here's what I'm going through ( I probably analyze everything WAAAAAAY too much)

I'll start off with the "muffler type" vs. "canister-type" and narrow it down from there.
I need something quiet because I drive an hour each way to work every day. Last thing I need is a headache at 7 am.
Advantage: muffler type

I autocross on the weekends... so high end power is nice, but having a mid range also helps for slow speed corners where 1st gear isn't possible.
Draw: Canister for high end, muffler for mid-range

I like the nice deep mellow tone that comes from a well tuned system.
Thats based on the individual exhaust.

I don't care about a silencer as long as it can be taken out and still pass the noise limits.

Now... what I'm looking at is:

Canister-type
Tanabe SRM
RS*R ExMag GTII

Both of which are straight through systems, with minimal bending and advertised as lightweight. Both claim good gains (whatever that means on these cars), It's really tough to judge how loud an exhaust is, because theres a volume **** on my computer. The only real difference I can tell is the RS*R system has no resonator where the Tanabe has a small one. I'll assume both are fairly loud in person given their design and "race inspired" performance. As long as it sounds good and the cops don't bug me, I may not care.

Muffler Type:
RS*R ExMag Street
Neuspeed

I've never heard the Neuspeed, but reading has told me it's deep and quiet. The RS*R is also superquiet but deeper than stock... aparently it gets a little louder at WOT, but nothing major. Both are a little more corked up than the straight through designs, and keep some of the mid-range, but you don't get as much up top.

According to people with older Civics... the old school RS*R stuff was the ****. (by old school, they sold stuff in the US in the mid 90's, then stopped, it's now back), and the street system appears to be relatively unchanged and still considered awesome for it's stealthy appearance and noticable throttle response. Neuspeed is relatively new, the GTII is a "race" exhaust, so it's volume and tone quality has me a bit worried, it seems to be geared more towards raw power than producing power and being tolerable to listen too on the road, and we all know the Tanabe opinion...

So this has kinda got me on the fence...
I was always under the assumption that a little backpressure was helpful as long as it didn't get to be too much. I always thought that the engine needed a little bit to keep the exhaust flowing out. I also though that the straight through ones were most beneficial if your car was considerably modified (which mine certainly isn't), and since the lack of mid-range power is evident already, I don't know that losing more of it is something I want to do. It's not like I'll gain nothing on the top end... the muffler-types are both 60mm, which is about 3/8" larger than stock (which last time I roughly measured was 1.75")... so I should get a bit through the whole range rather than just getting a lot on top.

Jeez... I wrote a lot. And I'm still not really sure which way to go. I thought maybe just typing this out would help get a pro/con list together and be useful.... but I really didn't get anywhere. Maybe some of you who read all this jumble can sort out my thoughts a little. It seems I've got a fairly even list of stuff.

Just on the side... Do you guys do this crap before buying things or am I just odd for over-analyzing something dumb. I know an intake is just a stick... I guess an exhaust is too, but for some reason, there seem to be more factors that play in.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 07-18-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01WingsWestCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
damn, wish i could help you, but unless someone has tried every single one it might be a little hard. everyone will say that their exhaust is what youre looking for so it may be a shot in the dark. good luck either way
Old 07-17-2003
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
I had a tanabe Gp medallion on my 94 civic....It was quiet during normal driving and had a nice low rumble when I got on it...Im not sure if they make this exhaust for the 7th gen though, but if they did that would be my pick
Old 07-17-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
The Tanabe Hyper medalion is a muffler type exhaust. You might wanna try that. It'll be original. I don't know of anyone with it.

I can't wait to get my Ulta Medalion.
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

JamesL is an unknown quantity at this point
...might I suggest the Apexi WS?
Old 07-17-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by FlyRiceRacer02
The Tanabe Hyper medalion is a muffler type exhaust. You might wanna try that. It'll be original. I don't know of anyone with it.

I can't wait to get my Ulta Medalion.
Gotta look into it... all Stainless... thats good.

...might I suggest the Apexi WS?
I've read some good stuff about that one too... gotta look into it more... but there's no application available yet (according to Apexi's website)

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 07-17-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

JamesL is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Boilermaker1
Gotta look into it... all Stainless... thats good.

I've read some good stuff about that one too... gotta look into it more... but there's no application available yet (according to Apexi's website)

... have it on my 02 coupe.
Old 07-17-2003
www.AbsouluteDriven.com

obtix is an unknown quantity at this point
I recommend the Skunk2 Mega Power exhaust - Its quite when you want it to be and very low tone and warm sounding - it only gets slightly loud when you gun your car but not ricey at all.
Old 07-18-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Aight... I'm gonna be the gunea pig here. I bought the RS*R ExMag Street Exhaust.
I've heard only good things about it, so I figured what the hell... I'll be different. I know its quiet enough for the commute and from 3 different people who work at the stores I've called, it adds some mid-range (WOOHOO!).

JDM YO!!
Old 07-18-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
So does this mean you are breaking your Italian streak?
Old 07-18-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

I guess so... I don't think I can get an Ansa... and even if I could it would probably be pretty damn expensive. Besides... a euro exhaust for a Japanese designed car... I don't think thats gonna work. I'll stick with Japanese for performance and the Italians for style.
Old 07-18-2003

fuledya is an unknown quantity at this point
How much was the system? Where did you get it? Please let me know what you think of it when you get it. I feel exactly the same way as you when it comes to exhaust, and last weekend I drove an hour with my buddy in his eclipse with some aftermarket exhaust, we were practically yelling at eachother it was so loud INSIDE the car (hatch back doesn't help). Keep me posted pleaz!!!
Old 07-18-2003
Registered!!

JRS1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
that looks really nice, how much was it? i like that better than my magnaflow exhaust.
Old 07-18-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

I paid $511.56 for it. I'll keep you all posted when I get it, etc... and see if I can find something that records sound.
Old 07-18-2003
Type Skivic

TeRRoRiFiC35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Apex'i worldsport is very nice and quiet. My friend has it on his 7th gen civic and he likes it. He wishes he had my exhaust though, Apex'i N1. The Apex'i N1 is quite loud and can get rather annoying at times if you dont have music on. I myself do like it because it makes people look at the car. It shounds nice. I also like the Greddy Evo exhaust, nice sounding. It isnt anywhere as close as loud as the N1 but it still makes people look.
Old 07-18-2003
Type Skivic

TeRRoRiFiC35 is an unknown quantity at this point
He also has a downpipe with the worldsport.
Old 06-30-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
Talking ANSA for civic"s is available!!!!!

I have an ASNA resonator tip, from my fiero, on my civic and was looking for the mufflers, the exhaust tips I have have been discontinued i think $90 a pair. All i did was cut off the end of the stock muffler and clamped the tip on and it was quieter but a throughty sound. Well i didn't want to bite on boilermaker's thread but here is the link to ANSA, I have been told it is one of the best and a friend's father, RIP had a V6 fiero 200whp with a ANSA exhaust and sounded SO close to a ferrari, you could not tell the difference, I am getting one and my fiero is getting one among other things. Lets hope to bring something different to the civic.
http://www.ansaautomotive.com/index.html this is the website
http://www.ansaautomotive.com/ansasp...ngs/honda.html this is the link for honda's.
Old 06-30-2004
Mr. Clean

Changu-San can only hope to improve
RS-R! Woohoo!
Old 07-01-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
holly ish this was a almost a year old before it was brought back from the dead. Irishtemper he already has the RS*R.
Old 07-01-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
oh ok i didn't know the RS*R was ANSA. I was going to see how many people had them, most people have skunk2, greddy, DC, APC,,,,,,, and i didn't want to repost and **** anyone off. thanks
Old 07-01-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
it isn't, I was just saying he already has an exhaust so why open it up.
Old 07-01-2004
Banned

ok ill post it separate then,, thanks