Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Stock Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yajstylez is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock Exhaust?

My car sounds low/loud as if there's some kind exhaust system, but as a noob, I am not sure at all what part exactly has been changed and what exactly to get, to get back in stock specs (I don't want the low/loud noise and mainly because I have kids). Any suggestions/advice? Are autozone's mufflers/exhaust loud or are they stock specs (quiet noise like stock?). The quieter the better. (2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Name:  20140330_153649_zps3be6e6f9.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  64.3 KB

I know, ghettoly put-on muffler tip.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by yajstylez; 03-31-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Stock Exhaust?

It looks like you just have an aftermarket muffler. You could also have an exhaust leak causing the excessive noise. Take it to a muffler shop, they can look for leaks and supply you with a new quieter muffler if that is what is causing the extra noise. If you are a DIYer you could buy your own muffler, I would get an OE one from a junk yard or buy a replacement online. Before dong that check for leaks though.

It looks like you might be missing your resonator also. Look for another muffler shaped object located just before the rear passenger tire. I don't see it in your pics and that would make it louder if it was missing.
Old 04-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M00n3at3r is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yajstylez
My car sounds low/loud as if there's some kind exhaust system, but as a noob, I am not sure at all what part exactly has been changed and what exactly to get, to get back in stock specs (I don't want the low/loud noise and mainly because I have kids). Any suggestions/advice? Are autozone's mufflers/exhaust loud or are they stock specs (quiet noise like stock?). The quieter the better. (2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I know, ghettoly put-on muffler tip.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
I'm with GolNat, i doesn't look stock, and believe me I've played with my exhaust many a time. If you are a diyer, junk yard is definitely a good place to look. Since it is so chop shopped, i would see about dropping it from the cat back. Then you have a new, used, system. It really simple to do. There are 2 bolt connecting the muffler to the resonator, and 2 hangers. Remove the muffler and there is one hanger on the resonater and 2 bolts connecting the in line cat to the headers. With the LX however, your cat I believe is part of your headers, so just remove that from the engine and presto! I would say if you can find an EX, pull the exhaust off of that, but you wouldn't have the necessary heat shields.
Old 04-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The spring loaded joint at the very front is factory. Someone has cut off the original exhaust at this point behind the engine (obvious pipe change point) and replaced with non-factory exhaust parts.

Name:  20140330_153750_zps72db50d9.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  78.4 KB

The muffler in there now looks pretty small, like someone wanted a little more noise from the exhaust.
I don't see any resonator in the middle pipe either.

If you don't want to pay factory prices, then visit a local muffler shop. But don't expect factory quiet either, for the cheap price you get at a muffler shop.

Also, it looks like there's an oil leak.