Philips Xtreme power +80 H4 bulbs - Honda Civic Forum

Part and Product Reviews This forum is for part and product reviews only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2007   #1
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Philips Xtreme power +80 H4 bulbs

The latest breakthrough in headlight bulb technology comes yet again from philips. this time around, they are pushing everything to the limit. Smaller globe size, hotter filament, better focal distance, all to put out the maximum amount of light legally allowed on the road. The new bulbs are rated as +80, the only bulb of its kind, with all other companies still only offering +50 upgrades. And lucky for us, they only make it in two sizes, H4 and H7. If you have 01-03 headlights, the H4 is the bulb for you.

If you want a clear bulb that delivers the highest lumen output possible AND gives you the whitest light, these bulbs are for you. Some defining features are the palladium coated tip, blue ring, and chrome base among others. If you are upgrading from stock bulbs, the difference is amazing. Even if you already have +50 bulbs, you will still see a difference. After installing new bulbs, always check to see that your headlamps are properly aimed and level with each other.

I drove by an hid equipped car and my lights were almost as bright. side by side with a stock civic, my lights were brighter and much whiter on the ground.

One problem is since they optimized the filament position for lo beam, the hi beam suffers as a result. I would say it is worse than stock, but not so bad that it becomes useless.

Comparison shots:

1. OEM stock H4 bulbs

2. Philips +50 VP (vision plus) upgrade

3. Philips +80 XP (xtreme power) upgrade

Last edited by gearbox; 04-19-2009 at 01:55 AM.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #2
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Philips Xtreme power +80 H4 bulbs

very nice output, much like HID. What does +80 mean? Does it mean stock 55W + 80W = 135W?
dalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #3
Registered!!

WKHCivic will become famous soon enoughWKHCivic will become famous soon enough

Do you need to upgrade the wiring harness? and where is the best place to get them?
WKHCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #4
Registered!!

karlozc2003 should not be trusted

where can you get these bulbs ? I see there only distributed in Europe.
karlozc2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007   #5
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wiring harness does not need to be upgraded, these are standard 55w bulbs. The +80 is just a light upgrade, it came from a percent of total output from stock bulb i believe. Unfortunately, H4 is one of the dimmest bulbs used at 1000 lumen each. the best are the H1, starting at 1500 lumen and with a +50 upgrade you get 1800 lumen! almost double what we have.

For lumen outputs, check here, awesome reference. Dan is the man.

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/...ulb_types.html

H4 = 1000 lumen
H4+50 = 1148 lumen
H4+80 = ? not tested yet

you can buy the extreme power bulb from either

powerbulbs.com
autolamps-online.com
Old 03-10-2008   #6
Registered!!

superdewey58 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think i will try these b4 i go HID
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #7
Premium Member

they are nice, i dont use em anymore cause i have the catz zeta ballast and was afraid they might blow up running at 15v+ with that small globe and high pressure. but they are the brightest bulb ive ever used.
Old 03-10-2008   #8
Registered!!

i had the 2500k yellows in my eg when i sold it, loved them. i think with this em2 i will try the other side of the spectrum
Old 03-10-2008   #9
Premium Member

here are some new pics i guess i can post comparing boosted outputs of the different bulbs. for being clear bulbs, the xp are really white.

Old 03-11-2008   #10
Registered!!

sweet im looking forward to their arrival!
Old 01-26-2011   #11
Registered!!

NPS Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone tried Philips Xtreme Vision? They're claiming 100% more than standard bulb. Wonder if they are street legal?
NPS Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #12
Premium Member

be careful interpreting the +% terminology. it can be misleading because most stock H4 bulbs are rated for 1000 lumens, the +50% is 1148 lumens. a good difference, but we are not talking huge gains here like it would seem. the biggest output increase comes from making sure the bulbs get enough voltage. if you are not giving the bulbs at least 14v, you are missing out on serious lumens. since voltage and lumen output are exponential, even a 1v voltage drop can cost you hundreds of lumens per bulb. as for the legal limit, it is set as 2000 lumens per headlamp for a non-leveling headlamp system (no auto level motors). and remember this is lumen output that makes it out of the reflector, not what the bulb actually produces. most newer halogen reflectors are about 85% efficient, meaning most of the light is focused and "useable" whereas a small amount is lost to refraction and reflector optics. with a perfect electrical system at 14.2v and no voltage drops, stock H4 bulb will make 1400 lumens. with 85% efficiency, 1190 lumens actually makes it to the road surface. so you can still vastly increase the brightness and be within the legal range.

lightoutputcurve.jpg?t=1296099005

Last edited by gearbox; 01-26-2011 at 09:36 PM.