West Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

Honda awd and manual swap 94 e.g. Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian_Hatch6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda awd and manual swap 94 e.g. Hatch

Alright guys I need help! Desperately! I want to awd and manual swap my 94 civic hatch but I don't know a whole lot about what I need or how to do it but I have to plans in my head and I need help deciding and determining why. So thought #1. Find Honda CR-V and take what is need off of it. Pros? Cons? Thought #2. Find subi sedan frame and use either subi awd parts and or Motor swapping. Pros? Cons?
Old 10-05-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda awd and manual swap 94 e.g. Hatch

Man, that's gonna be a lot of fabrication either way.

If you wanna see what it's like putting a civic body on a subi chassis, it's been done before, and it was awesome. lol
Project: First world Civic powered by Subaru

The CR-V engine/drivetrain swap might be doable, but you're gonna have to do some underbody modification to accommodate the driveshaft. I'm not even sure if the transmission will clear the firewall, so you'd have to mod that to fit, too, if that's the case. IIRC, the CR-V rocks a K24, so you might be able to get away with k20 swap mounts, but there's more to that than meets the eye. When people were K20 swapping the EM2/ES1 (2001-2005 civic coupe/sedans), and the thought of swapping in a K24 came into play, there were issues with vertical clearance. Then the K20 block-K24 head (franken-K swap) came to light. I cant remember which, likely both of em, sat 4cm too high to clear the d17 engine bay, so modifications were needed to have the k24 (or the franken-k swap) drop down 4cm to clear the hood.

So, lets go over the pros and cons of each

K24 AWD swap
Pros:
-Keep it all in the Honda family.
-Mounts that may fit in your existing engine bay

Cons:
-Large amount of modification needed to clear the driveshaft and maybe transmission bell housing
-Likely a large amount of modification needed to allow the rear axle to fit and work
-Modifying it in such a way that still allows for proper ground clearance

now onto the Cibaru idea
Pros:
-Drivetrain and engine would already be set for clearance and operation
-Probably more reliable setup instead of, for a lack of better words, properly jerry rigging everything to fit

Cons:
-You're driving a subaru parading around as a civic
-Holy crap, the fab needed to make the body panels look OEM
-You'd effectively be starting with 2 cars, turning them into one, then having 2 very different halves of 2 different cars as spare parts, parts that you'd have to just junk (unless you can find a buyer for all the unused parts *ahemcraigslistahem*
-Legalities? I'm not sure if this swap would be "street legal" or not, but once it's all said and done, and if it looks good, then who'd know, right? Eh, kinda. Registration requirements: would you have to register it as a honda or a suby? Likely the latter, perhaps, since, cosmetically, it'd be a civic, but deep down, it'd be a suby. Also, insuring the car; would any insurance company insure a franken car like that, and, if they did, would it be seen as a large insurance risk and charge you out the ***?

Lots of food for thought there, buddy. Regardless of the route you choose, it's gonna run you buku bucks, so I hope you have the financial backing for it, or at least have access to a well-equipped garage
Old 10-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda awd and manual swap 94 e.g. Hatch

Buy a CRV. Slap Civic emblems on it. Done.
LOL

Actually I'd think the 1st gen CRV AWD with the B20xx engine would be a good fit....Chop the pan out and weld the civic body onto it.
Mr Dong has that 5th gen(?) car with the CRV engine in it.....IDK how much more work it would be to stuff the rest of the CRV drivetrain under it though.