Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering part for 1991 civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Natedawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering part for 1991 civic

Sooo...i finally got around to replacing my steering rack today. I stripped out a bolt to a part I don't know what it is called and if I can even buy it. It connects the shaft to the rack and the steering wheel. Can anyone tell me what this is And where I can find one? I'm sorry if this vague. It looks kinda like a swivel socket with a lot of teeth inside the shaft goes into. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering part for 1991 civic

Bolt stripped, no other damage? Replace just the bolt?

If coupler got its threads damaged, run a thread tap through the damaged threads in the coupler then see if another bolt will thread and be secure

Alternative
Try a longer bolt that will go all the way through the coupler, with a lock nut

If looking for used at a salvage yard, I'd describe it as 'the lower U-joint between the steering column and steering rack'

New might still be available through a dealer or online
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ng-column-tilt

Part #14 in that link is probably the u-joint or coupler you are looking for
(Honda catalog calls it "joint B" but nobody else on the freekin planet will have any idea what that means, so call it u-joint or coupler),
#35 and 36 are the bolts and washers

NOTE: I picked a random 1991 Civic for that catalog link, you'll need to start over at the beginning and pick your actual car

Old 02-04-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Natedawg
Sooo...i finally got around to replacing my steering rack today. I stripped out a bolt to a part I don't know what it is called and if I can even buy it. It connects the shaft to the rack and the steering wheel. Can anyone tell me what this is And where I can find one? I'm sorry if this vague. It looks kinda like a swivel socket with a lot of teeth inside the shaft goes into. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
I did the same thing on my '95 EX during rack replacement..stripped one of the two U-bolt holes. As Ezone said replace U-joint with used one is probably the best option. On mine I ended using a a grade 10 bolt next size down, grade 10 washer + lock washer and nut. I may have used a standard size instead of metric..can't recall. Anyway, no issues and I check it once in a while and it's still as tight as when I installed it six months ago.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-04-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Natedawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much ezone. I don't feel like messing with the part anymore. I couldn't get the stripped bolt out so I just ordered the part. Thanks again.