Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1987 Civic sedan idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grdprx is an unknown quantity at this point
1987 Civic sedan idle issues

My little car was just recovered after being stolen. My poor car.
It's idling super high now, 2500-3000 rpms. after I turn it off, it "diesels".. I think that's the right term. After driving it, even for a short period, I can't get it to start again. It just cranks and cranks.

I noticed some oil around the rim of the 'Air valve' that is behind the distributor. That part has been discontinued. If it's an air valve, I'm assuming there is some sort of issue, since there is oil around it. I can see some sort of plastic part under the air cleaner that is inline of the hose from the air valve. From there, I can't see where the hose goes, without removing the air cleaner.
After the car sits for a period of time, I'd say over an hour, it will start up just fine.

Has anyone experienced this before, or have any ideas?
Old 01-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1987 Civic sedan idle issues

You'll have to investigate why it idles too high.
Coolant level in the radiator?
Vacuum leaks?
Oil level?
Gas pedal/throttle cable/carb got jacked during the joyrides?

See if your insurance company will total the car out?
Old 01-27-2018
Registered!!

grdprx is an unknown quantity at this point

I am beginning to look into this issue. I was hoping someone may have had a similar experience that they could offer insight on this issue. Being that the air valve is discontinued, I was hoping to get some input before I hunt down the part. None of the local wrecking yards have older civics in the yard.

Insurance will likely total the car out, but if I can repair it, I can continue to use as my commuter car. I don't see any leaks from the car, throttle response is the same. It doesn't start the high idle until the engine warms up and oil begins to saturate the air valve. I'd imagine oil isn't supposed to be in that part of the system, I've got the old chiltons manual on request from the library.

If anyone has experience working on this old engine, I'd appreciate some input. Seems it was a 1987 only engine.
Old 01-30-2018
Lock, Stock, and 3(NotSmoking)BBLs

ElCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Being an owner of an 84 Civic, I might be able help, but I'd definitely need to know more about what you know is right/good with the car.

The carb might have been messed with maybe, like ezone said.

The dieseling and not starting immediately afterwards is because it's flooded out.