Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 civic ex coupe manual drivetrain problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austinjodell is an unknown quantity at this point
95 civic ex coupe manual drivetrain problems

Ok, so me and my dad just got done doing a transmission swap on my civic. We decided to change the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, most of the seals along with it. So we get it all back together and I start it up and the clutch will not engage. I can shift through all gears with shifter. The clutch pedal has pressure. And I can now hear a rubbing/grinding noise which i can only guess is the clutch. So the clutch will not engage at all now. If I push the clutch in the sound goes away and once i let off the sound comes back. We are kind of at a loss as to what is going on. Before anyone asks, we checked slave cylinder and you can feel it pushing again the arm for the throwout bearing. we are 100% percent certain that the clutch plate was put on correctly not backwards. We have read 1 or 2 articles that have said that there are sometimes a special star bolt on new pressure plates that have to be taken off for the clutch to engage properly. Was wondering if anyone can help with this issue or at least point us in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 95 civic ex coupe manual drivetrain problems

Axle is not pushed all the way into the trans?
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

if its all bolted up and aligned then it should automatically line up wouldnt it? Well check it out when we tear it back down but I did vin checks and both my car and the car that we got the new trans out of have same first 11 digits of vin. so that would mean same exact trans so i wouldnt see why it wouldnt line up correctly..
Old 06-19-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Austinjodell
if its all bolted up and aligned then it should automatically line up wouldnt it? Well check it out when we tear it back down but I did vin checks and both my car and the car that we got the new trans out of have same first 11 digits of vin. so that would mean same exact trans so i wouldnt see why it wouldnt line up correctly..
What does any of that have to do with not getting an axle fully seated in the trans?

Have you looked under the car to see if anything is moving when it shouldn't be, or vise versa?

Google image searched....
Installer error:
Name:  20160101_171408_zpsxpn40qn7.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  112.4 KB

Did someone pull the axle shaft out of the inboard CV joint causing the rollers to drop into the rubber boot?
Old 06-19-2017

Wrong clutch disc, doesn't fit the input shaft correctly?
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

Update, we are able to roll it in first and second gear with the car off. If the trans is good then shouuldnt it be stuck and unable to roll?
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Wrong clutch disc, doesn't fit the input shaft correctly?
it's the exact same as original we compared them side by side
Old 06-19-2017

Originally Posted by Austinjodell
Update, we are able to roll it in first and second gear with the car off.
Does the car also roll freely in gears 3, 4, 5 and R?

If the trans is good then shouuldnt it be stuck and unable to roll?
If either axle is not properly engaged in the differential, the car will be able to roll regardless of gear.

Haven't you crawled under the car to check yet?