Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1996 Civic EX Grinding Noise

Old 05-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
michael.eliason is an unknown quantity at this point
1996 Civic EX Grinding Noise

So I have a '96 Honda Civic EX with approx. 190k miles. It has run perfectly from the time I have bought it about 15k miles ago. I started hearing a grinding noise when the transmission was switching gears. It sounded really bad, and so I wondered what it could be. I am pretty sure it is coming from the transmission, so I checked the transmission fluid level, which was perfectly full. I then checked the oil, which was severely below the minimum level. This was yesterday, and I bought a quart of oil and topped the oil off, thinking that that would stop the problem. I drove it around today, but after about 30 miles of driving it is still making the sound. The sound seems to soften, and even disappear, as the engine warms up, but I'm pretty sure it is a problem that I need to take care of, but I do not have much money, and would rather not take it in if I can. Any help is appreciative, and I can post a video of the sound if needed. Thank You all in advance!!
-Michael Eliason, Billings MT
Old 05-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1996 Civic EX Grinding Noise

Does engine need more oil??
Manual trans or automatic?

Have someone sit in the car and get it to make this noise, while you climb and/or crawl around (with a stethoscope if necessary) and pinpoint exactly where the noise originates.

Exhaust manifold cracked and leaking while cold?
Exhaust heat shields rusting apart and rattling?

Search this Thread