Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ECU Code #4: 89 Honda Civic Wagon

Old 07-18-2014
I heart Honda's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reymago is an unknown quantity at this point
ECU Code #4: 89 Honda Civic Wagon

Hello,

Earlier this week the check engine light in my 1989 Honda Civic Wagon (with 215k miles) turned on. I checked the ECU and the code it flashes repeatedly is four. I replaced the distributor with a new one --which according to my research seemed to be the easiest and most common way to resolve this problem. Upon installing the new distributor I was careful and made sure all the spark plug wires were placed back in their correct spots.

Afterwards, I then drove the car for a bit and everything seemed fine. The ECU was no longer flashing and the check engine light was not on. But, after about 10 minutes (approx), the check engine light came back on and the car became sluggish. I pulled over and then checked the ECU and once again, the number of flashes the light was indicating was four.

So, once I drove the car back home I tried to reset the ECU by following these steps:

1. turning off the car and pulling out the 15 amp ECU fuse from under the hood.
2. waiting 15 minutes.
3. putting the fuse back in, starting the car, and close hood.
4. making sure all car's accessories were off and not pressing the gas or brake.
5. letting the car idle for 10 minutes.
6. turning the car car off, then back on, and going for a typical drive.

However, I was not able to get to step number six. During the 10 minutes of idling the car's engine light came back on and the ECU began to flash four times again.

Am I doing something wrong? If not, what else besides the distributor could be causing the check engine light to remain on and the ECU to continue to flash four times? The car is very well maintained and up until this happened drove great and to this day still gets me upwards of 28 mpg in the city. I don't drive it much though...only about 2,000 miles max a year now-a-days.

In any case, I wish not to have to visit a costly repair shop and have been unable to determine what my next step(s) should be. Any suggestions and/or recommendations from any of you Honda gurus and technicians would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks much in advance!
Old 08-13-2014
Registered!!

Bear28027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ECU Code #4: 89 Honda Civic Wagon

reymago, I am having the exact same problem on my 1989 Civic LX. Mine will run normal, as long as you never let it drop below 2000 RPM, then it starts running POORLY and wont make power, and creates the code 4. I drove it from GA to NC this way. I received the code 4, followed the shop manual directions received 400ohms between distributor posts, and NO ground. I replaced the distributor and have the same problem still. I replaced the ECU, still no success. I cleaned all the grounds in the engine compartment i could find (thermostat housing, and 5 others), still no success. I am also at my wits end with this. If you or anyone else come up with a solution, please let me know.
Old 08-17-2014
Registered!!

Bear28027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ECU Code #4: 89 Honda Civic Wagon

reymago, I am having the exact same problem on my 1989 Civic LX. Mine will run normal, as long as you never let it drop below 2000 RPM, then it starts running POORLY and wont make power, and creates the code 4. I drove it from GA to NC this way. I received the code 4, followed the shop manual directions received 400ohms between distributor posts, and NO ground. I replaced the distributor and have the same problem still. I replaced the ECU, still no success. I cleaned all the grounds in the engine compartment i could find (thermostat housing, and 5 others), still no success. I am also at my wits end with this. If you or anyone else come up with a solution, please let me know.