Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

89 Civic -- what are these gaskets that came with my rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunk of Cheese is an unknown quantity at this point
89 Civic -- what are these gaskets that came with my rear main seal?

I am replacing the rear main seal on my '89 Civic 1.5L 4-speed manual while doing the clutch.

I bought this Fel-pro seal, picture attached.

It came with the circular seal I was expecting, and some gaskets, as shown in the picture. I don't see anywhere they would fit, and I don't find any mention of gaskets that should be replaced while the tranny is out. What are these gaskets for?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gaskets.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	86701  
Old 06-07-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 89 Civic -- what are these gaskets that came with my rear main seal?

Some engines use a separate 'carrier' that holds the seal.

Yours probably has one, part #7 in this diagram?

GIS for some random seal carrier:

Gasket sets are usually packaged to cover several different applications with a single kit.
Old 06-08-2014
Registered!!

Is it usual to replace this gasket while replacing the seal? My Hayne's manual doesn't have any torque values or instructions here. Any tricks e.g. extra RTV sealant necessary? Better to install the seal while the carrier is on the engine, or off?

I do have a lot of oil on the outside of the pan, not sure where it's coming from but replacing gaskets while it's apart seems smart.
Old 06-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to remove it if it isn't a problem IMO, but should it be resealed right now while it's all apart? Maybe.
You probably need to remove the oil pan to get the carrier off.

Replacing the main seal can be done either way. Note the depth it's installed at.

I DO NOT SEE a gasket from the factory in that location. Do not put a gasket in there if it did not have one from the factory.

If there is no paper gasket then it must be RTV. I'd use Permatex Ultra Gray or equivalent (Hondabond),

Bolt specs.....If you use RTV the specs will be standard 6mm fastener specs and some common sense.
Old 06-08-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the tips. I wound up leaving the seal carrier in place since it's too much trouble holding up the engine with both the oil pan and the transmission out.