Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stall/start problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kwozney is an unknown quantity at this point
Stall/start problems

So I'm having issues with my 92' civic cx hatchback.. When I first got it, I went to fill her up and It wouldn't start, we assumed it was vapor lock because after sitting for a few minutes, it started again. Then about a week later, I was going up a hill to practice and stalled it, when I went to start it back up it just wouldn't turn over. I even tried jumping it 3 or 4 times and same thing. We parked it on a flat road and tried starting again and it just seemed like there was no power. After sitting for about 5-10 minutes, it started again and ran like nothing happened. I figured that since it was sitting for so long before I got it, that maybe water got in the fuel filter so I replaced it. It ran better then ever, never stalled. Until today, I stalled again on a slight hill and went to start it again and it just wouldn't start. I rolled it to a flat spot and its like she wanted to start but even when I gave it a bit of gas nothing would happen. I let it sit again for a good 10 minutes and tried to start and have some gas and it finally started again.. I am thinking it may be the alternator but since I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to cars, I'm wondering if anyone knows what this could be or have experienced this also?? Thanks !!!
Old 02-10-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stall/start problems

I'm gonna take a wild stab and guess the purge solenoid might be stuck open, letting fuel vapor into the intake when it shouldn't be. This would make it act flooded at times.

Purge valve is #11. To check it (for what I'm thinking of), remove hose #20 from the round canister (half pictured about bottom center above, it's on the firewall of the car) and blow...If you can blow through the hose, the purge valve is bad (stuck open).
If you can't blow through that hose (valve is closed), then this isn't the problem.

It is an old car, it could be full of problems.