Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replaced Oxygen sensor but PGMFI light still on

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jefflpark is an unknown quantity at this point
Replaced Oxygen sensor but PGMFI light still on

I have an 86 Civic SI. Bought it from the original owner about 6 months ago. It is in great condition and I drive 60 miles per day. I love this car and hope to keep it forever but it is my first fuel injected vehicle and i'm having some trouble.

Quick background:

When I got it it had difficulty starting and idled rough for the first couple minutes. After testing all the Idle related valves/sensors I took it to the dealer to diagnose. They said that the fuel injectors were leaking and flooding it when I shut it off. They were right - i replaced the injectors and it fires right up now. I also back flushed the heater core and put in a hotter thermostat because I need all the heat I can get here in Alaska.

Any way, after completing that work the PGMFI light started coming on. Code 1 - O2 sensor. I replaced the sensor but the light still comes on - almost every time I drive it, usually after several minutes of driving. I don't know what to do - the manual only makes reference to the O2 sensor relating to that code. I also notice carbon on the ground under the tail pipe after it has been sitting and idling for a while.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Replaced Oxygen sensor but PGMFI light still on

somehow your mixture is still too rich (carbon deposits). get a 4 gas analysis done. any mechanic should be able to pinpoint in minutes your problem, now that the injectors have been replaced. Possible problems, injector pulse width, fuel pressure regulator, ecu.
Old 12-20-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: Replaced Oxygen sensor but PGMFI light still on

reset the ECU to learn the new injection mixture.