Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Owner of a 95, quick tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cjgodfryt is an unknown quantity at this point
New Owner of a 95, quick tranny question

Hello,
I recently picked up a 95 civic ex with 170k on it. I bought it because I work at a car dealership and we were going to give the guy trading it in 250 bucks for it, so I gave him 300 and he took it. Thing like any honda runs like a champ. Minimal rust, all the electronics work, even the AC blows cold. The one thing though is that it makes a clicking or rattling noise when in 1,2,3 and fades out in 4 and 5. I seem to be reading that these cars are known to have bad transmission bearings. My question is, does this sound like its the "throw out" bearing, or input shaft bearing. If so, how long can I realistically drive this car before it just dies and it has to be replaced. The car is simply a winter beater, but I like how it drives and would rather keep it than junk it. I dont want the transmission rebuilt for 5 times the price of the car, and if some people think it will live for another 10-20k I would just let it be. I am decently mechanically handy and feel I could take it out and repair it myself, but really dont want to go through that kind of hassle.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

cjgodfryt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Owner of a 95, quick tranny question

Anyone?
Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Usually it's takes more than a couple of hours to get a reply, sometimes days. Just be patient.

My 2001 has had that bearing going out for 4 years now and going strong (about 120K miles). Run it into the ground then buy a salvage tranny for $200-500. Even if it has the bearing going out in it it will probably last another couple years. You can find those trannys everywhere right now. Labor is usually $200-500. As an added bonus you can change the clutch while the tranny is off.
Old 10-29-2011
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes with 170k this car is only middle aged. Transmissions are a dime a dozen. with gas prices climbing i would hang on to this car. If you search craigslist for your location you could find a replacement transmission pretty easy. When you think about how many 5th generation civics were sold in the US...