Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

idles up and down but it all started with antifreeze?

Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CapitanChunk is an unknown quantity at this point
idles up and down but it all started with antifreeze?

Im new to this board (and civic ownership in general) so hopefully this will make sense. a few weeks back I drove to work (about 4minutes oneway) and when i got there before i shut off my car i noticed that it was idling high then low very rhythmically (high of about 2000, low just under 1000). it hadnt done it in the 18 months ive owned it, nor since (untill today) so i didnt pay much attention to it. 2 days ago i see steam coming from my hood. when i popped it i found a 4" crack in the plastic top of the radiator. replaced radiator over the weekend, but the car still overheats, and the idling thing is still happening, but only in park or neutral. when its engaged to the transmission (its auto) it doesnt seem to do it. My first thought is an airflow sensor, but im not familiar enough with hondas to know, traditionally i have dealt more with dsms than anything, so this is all new to me. Any thoughts before i start dumpping money into it would be appreciated.

also any chance the above issues could be related to bad exhaust? the last length of pipe running to the can rusted thru and broke 2 or 3 weeks ago and i have not replaced yet. wasnt sure if bad back pressure was causing a bad sensor was causing somehting else and the domino goes on.

I found out this week that apparently my car doesnt like me very much...

CapitanChunk
94 Civic 1.6 SOHC VTEC
no mods to engine (yet)
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: idles up and down but it all started with antifreeze?

Sounds like the fast idle valve needs cleaning. Did you burp the cooling system really good?

Also, check for codes: http://check-engine-light-codes.blog...retrieval.html
Old 08-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You likely have air in the system. Bleed the coolant system and see if that helps. It actually might correct your idle too
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CapitanChunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
You likely have air in the system. Bleed the coolant system and see if that helps. It actually might correct your idle too
you were right! i did and it did, idles perfectly and put on a new exhaust today just to be sure. thanks for the tip!

CapitanChunk
94 Civic 1.6L SOHC VTEC
Old 08-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem.. thing with coolant is it runs through the throttle body somewhere and regulates the system... Glad it fixed it. I forgot how it works mechanically but I figured it would solve it.