Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Help With 1993 Civic Single Post Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wpaxt is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Help With 1993 Civic Single Post Headrests

My 1993 Civic has those sort of cool but odd single post, non-adjustable headrests on the front seats. I have 2 questions: 1. How the heck do you remove them?; 2. Any advice on seatcovers that would work on these seats?

The guy I bought the car from was a smoker and yes of course he burned holes in the upholstery. I'm thinking of just getting some low-back covers since anything for a bucket seat will have no support on one side of the headrest. But it would be great if they actually made covers for these weird seats (I haven't found any so far).

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Bill
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Need Help With 1993 Civic Single Post Headrests

Easiest way would be to get seat covers out of the salvage yard. It can be a bit tedious as most won't have the same pattern.

Cheapest in the land: http://www.picknpull.com/default.aspx

Nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/

You can get brand new covers at the dealer or a lot of people prefer the online dealers: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/home.jsp

Or try local craigslist as far as your willing to drive.

eBay is a good place too but, make sure you get replacement covers not regular covers.
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

wpaxt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I've hit the yards for a number of weeks now. Problem is that the seats I've found are usually trashed.

The Honda parts site is cool but replacements are way too pricey for me.

What I am really trying to find out is how to remove the pillars that hold the head rests and if I can do that, do you think that I could find low back covers that would work?
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Take the cover off the seat back and it should be readily apparent if they come off or not. They should just unbolt from the seat back. You should be able to find short back seat covers.

If your patient eBay and CL are great places to find good deals on cover replacements.
Old 03-20-2011
Registered!!

extreme58 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know your location but if you live in a good size town there probably is an automotive upolstry shop and since those seats are pretty basic and small I don't think they would charge an arm and a leg to recover them. Never hurts to get a price.
Old 03-20-2011
Registered!!

HommeDeBois is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought some covers from Advance Auto Parts for my 95. They're part neoprene and snug enough that they don't look like crap on the seats.
Old 04-12-2011
civicfixer

foslhntr is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Hommedubois. I have a 93 civic CX. I ent to walmart and found full size seal covers for $20.00 each. Good fir, red, blue, yellow. Good luck.