Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic CX Distributor Cap Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocket44 is an unknown quantity at this point
93 Civic CX Distributor Cap Issue

Hey guys, I've got a 1993 Civic CX Hatch, auto with 280k on it that's having a bit of a distributor issue. Yesterday the car started and would shut off after about 2 seconds. Did this about two or three times. Then I wiggled the shifter and it fired up fine (may have just been a coincidence). Today I changed the oil and it now will not start. Cranks over fine but won't start. I checked the pump is good and it is, then I checked for spark and it does have spark (appears to be weak, it's an orange spark as opposed to white/blue). Then while having someone else crank the engine I noticed there was a spark coming from the distributor cap. There are no cracks in the cap however. I bought this car from a friends father a few days ago and he had the motor replaced 70k ago. The cap and rotor appear to be fairly new. Also it doesn't appear to be the proper motor for the car (was told it could be a D16Z6, it has VTEC and I was told the 93 CX didn't come with VTEC). I'll post a video of it ASAP. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

J-Master Flex is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 93 Civic CX Distributor Cap Issue

It could be a problem with the timing of the distributor cap. I'd look there first if you haven't already.
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

Firearmor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 93 Civic CX Distributor Cap Issue

Just because the cap is new doesn't mean it is good. If you notice sparks around the cap i would replace it. Also aftermarket plug wires are CRAPPY. i would much rather have a set of Stock wires with 200k miles on them then a new set from autozone. Your best thing to do is wait until it is pitch black outside and then have a buddy crank the car over while you check for a spark.