Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

B20B Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadjack is an unknown quantity at this point
B20B Issues

I have recently purchased a '98 Civic DX Coupe with a B20B. The motor ran like crap and knocked. I didn't want any compatibility issues with a different swap so I just bought another B20B and swapped it in. I hooked everything back the way it was before. It ran like crap still but no knock. Cold start, it takes a few seconds of cranking and starts then dies. Repeat 4-5 times. Terrible idle. Press gas any other way than a *snap* over and over, it dies. When it warms up, it runs a little stronger, not better. I can open the throttle a little longer and it won't die as fast. I get it to this point to start diagnosing things. Seems to be starved of fuel to me.

Fuel pressure after the filter is 40psi. Regulator appears to be working. 2 different TPSs. 2 different MAPs. Checked vacuum routing with alldata. The EVAP system was disabled prior to my ownership. I left it disabled because it shouldn't be affecting the idle or throttle. Spray starting fluid on the filter while opening throttle and it runs perfectly.

I'm convinced it's an ECU issue. My ECU is denshigiken 37820-p08-902. A google search of this number tells me its off of a '92-95 civic D15 auto. If it is my ECU, should I replace mine with the same model? Or should I go with a different ECU? If different, what modifications do I require to make it work with my current setup?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B20B Issues

Member "Megalodong" has a 95 with the B20B swap and his ECM just ran the engine waaay too lean in stock form. He needed a custom tune to make it rich enough to run decent.
Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B20B Issues

I think that's my issue. Being that the engine acts like it's starved of fuel, I think she's running lean. I'll see if I can message him to find out what he did.