Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

I need help!!! I want to build an all motor EM1

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jalen2692 is an unknown quantity at this point
I need help!!! I want to build an all motor EM1

I will be getting an em1 soon. i have always loved the car but i dont know much about cars besides the basics. I want to build an all motor EM1 and hope to reach a solid 230-250 horse power. can someone please let me know what i will need to do this. I dont want to put a swap in it either. please be as detailed *** possible. thank you!
Old 12-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: I need help!!! I want to build an all motor EM1

Impossible for the amount of money you'd be willing to spend, it would cost well into the five figure range and be solid enough to need a rebuild every few races. 200whp is a more reasonable goal, but that still take thousands of dollars worth of parts.

Swapping in a k-series would make more sense.
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

understanable. i just didnt want to save up and have to wait until i could put in a k20 type-r into it(if i can but a k20 type-r into it). waiting is what gets to me, but i could just do minor interior work while saving for a k series. i definitely want to swap at some point i might *** well do it before i do anything else in the bay. my car is not getting raced, i just want to be able to somewhat keep up with my two best friends on the high way, they both have 350z's. my main goal is to have a civic that is just fun to drive, sounds great, and is somewhat quick i really wanna feel the car as im driving it. any input?
Old 12-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Input..

You could buy a 350z or s2000 for less than what you will spend on the work and parts, heads up, this is a ridiculously expensive hobby and there's a reason you don't see many k-swapped civics. Is it worth it, while that's debatable..

If you want to go all motor you need as much displacement as possible, that's what kills you on making power on a b16. It would be better to swap in a k24, the additional displacement would be a huge advantage for an all motor car.

Lastly, if you want to spend a more reasonable sum, Honda engines and especially b16s respond extremely well to boost. For under $5k you could not only keep up with your friends 350zs, but beat them badly.
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

i would love a S2k, it has been my favorite car since i saw it for the first time. thing is im a college kid, money isnt all there. with an EM1 i could buy it and then save and save for however long i want to then do upgrades. an s2000 would mean a higher monthly payment which means i wouldnt be saving but then again with a S2k i wouldnt want to be doing much engine work. i am all about boost, i have a passion for the sound of a blow off vavle lol. only thing about boost is that i dont want to kill the engine on my daily driver but if you say b16's work well with boost then i am all for it. what psi would you recommend running on it? and what type of boost?
Old 12-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Just giving you an idea of the shear cost of building a car, I want an s2k as well, but also am in Uni. Gotta wait till after graduation I suppose.

Boost only blows up engines when people get the urge to turn up the boost to unsafe levels for a stock engine, because their desire for power out weighs common sense. Keep it to 8-10psi with a professional tune and boost can be very reliable..
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

alright cool. if im going to turbo my car im gonna want a larger exhaust piping. so id probably go about 3inch piping, that sound good? but most headers i see are 2.5inch. would i be able to attach a 2.5 inch header to one end of my stock catalytic converter and a 3inch exhaust pipe to the other end? what parts exactly would i need?