Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

need new shocks... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dosmastr is an unknown quantity at this point
need new shocks... suggestions?

i'm no enthusiast but i would like something that is better than the stock shocks from 1998 and will be for the next 100k miles.

here are a couple i found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-4-SHOCKS-STRUTS-HONDA-CIVIC-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000-/130856321173?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ACivic%7CSubmodel%3ALX&hash=item1e77a50095&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1260-FS-SHOCKS-STRUTS-for-Honda-Civic-Front-Set-2-Pcs-NEW-Lifetime-Warranty-/321110807563?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ACivic%7CSubmodel%3ALX&hash=item4ac3b2140b&vxp=mtr
i cant find much on either, i have seen a bad review of the staggs but nothing bad on sensen
Old 04-21-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: need new shocks... suggestions?

I wouldn't go with either of those just because I don't hear about them much. I would go with Tokico HP's or "Blues".

http://thmotorsports.com/i-526364.as...FdCZ4AodOhUAXw
Old 04-22-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

The Tokico blues are a good choice. Another similar shock is the Koni STR.T (street). They are also an entry level performance shock like the Tokicos. Koni's also comes with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONI-STR-T-Street-Shocks-Set-Honda-Civic-96-00-/300561408921?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACivic&hash=item45fadb2399&vxp=mtr

Or, if you want a higher performance, dampening adjustable shock, I'd recommend Koni Sports (Yellows). By far one of the best shocks out there for an affordable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koni-Yellow-Sport-Shocks-Set-96-00-Honda-Civic-EK-/111022159339?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACivic&hash=item19d96fb5eb&vxp=mtr
Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

thanks for the info guys.

hey does a 98 ek typically have a swaybar?

im considering getting one if the shocks dont help enough

(hopefully they will... the stock ones are almost 175k miles old!)
Old 04-23-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The shocks will help, especially if you go with a more performance shock like the Tokico's or Koni's.

Not sure if it has a stock sway, but upgrading to a bigger one is always helpful. Generally stock bars are small. See how it feels after the shocks and go from there.
Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

First off what model Civic do you have? Coupe, hatch, sedan? (You said EK, so I'm assuming a hatch.) And what trim?

Sway bar wise, the EX trim was the only one that came with a rear sway bar. But, I believe most aftermarket sway bar kits will include hardware to mount the sway bar, if you have a lower trim Civic that does not come with one stock. And if they do not, you probably can easily get the parts from an EX rear suspension to mount them.

The front sway bar is cake to upgrade. You just take the old one out, and replace it with the bigger aftermarket one.

Oh, and when replacing sway bars, upgrade to polyurethane bushings and endlinks while you are at it. They are much stiffer than the OEM rubber ones and you might as well do it when they are off the car.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

sorry, EJ

its a sedan lx
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

my main issue is the car doesnt stop as well as my wifes toyota despite being lighter

i noticed if i have the e brake up a click or 2 before i feel it start to drag the car stops MUCH better. plus when car turns it rolls a bit which would also be nice to eliminate
Old 04-24-2013
Prelude Owner

Shocks will help with braking but one of the best ways to stop better is with better tires. The Toyota might have better tires then your civic. If you really want to stop well get a good set of performance summer tires! Also a more aggressive brake pad compound will help you stop better.

Have you considered lowering it? Another option for better handling.

A sway bar upgrade would help, especially if you don't have a bar. My 01 Lx didn't come with one and it was night and day when I installed the rear. It did cost more because the mounting hardware was not there so you would have to look into that.

You can upgrade the front bar but I stayed with the stock bar because I want it be pretty neutral and with a bigger bar in the front it would throw off the balance
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

Also, there are various things you can do to your brakes to increase performance without going crazy and doing a brake swap.

-Resurface or buy new discs. You can get cross-drilled or slotted if you want, but neither will be very noticeable on street driving.
-Steel braided brake lines/fluid flush.
-More aggressive brake pads. they will create more dust, but you'll get more stopping power.

Like GolNat said, wider wheels with stickier tires will also really help, since you will have a bigger contact patch with the road, allowing more braking resistance without slipping or locking up the wheels.

If you want to upgrade your shocks, you might as well get lowering springs as well. Kill two birds with one stone as it were. The stiffer spring rates will help with the weight transfer, which will help with braking too. And your handling will be much improved. I don't know what kind of drop you would want, but look into Eibach, H&R, Neuspeed, and Tein springs. They all have various drops, so I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.

And since you have an LX, I'd look into what you need to swap in a rear sway bar. I'm sure you can find the parts from a Civic in a junkyard for pretty cheap. Just replace any bushings, and you'd be good to go. Depending on the brand of sway bar, its might have everything you need anyway. The car will definitely have better balance.

And if you don't want an aftermarket front bar, you can upgrade to an EX front. Its a few mm thicker, and will help, without throwing the balance of the car too far off.

Last edited by rustycivic; 04-24-2013 at 03:54 PM.