Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

code 1457

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skramer is an unknown quantity at this point
code 1457

My daughters 1999 civic is throwing a P1457 code. I just replaced the EVAP control solenoid on top of the canister. That seemed to do the trick...for 2 days. Light came back on and you guessed it, P1457 again! Now I am looking at the canister and noticed that the larger hose is collapsed. I am thinking that right there must be a clue for me but I don't know what it means. I have replaced the gas cap within the past year. I am trying to avoid taking it in for a smoke test. I'd rather trouble shoot and fix it myself. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
Old 12-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: code 1457

it probably never fixed it, evap codes just take a while to pop up
gas tank leaking?
the solenoid at the back may be bad/leaking, check with soapy water, they get pretty rotten
you can diy a smoke test, youtube
how do the lines running under the car to the back look? (fuel, brake, + evap)
the evap line on my girlfriend's car actually had holes in it it was so rotten.
Old 12-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

bypass solenoid internally shorted and took out the driver in the ecm?
Old 12-06-2018
Registered!!

Ezone...you lost me. I have no idea what that means
Old 12-06-2018
Registered!!

I actually did just fix a tank leak before I attempted to take care of the P1457 code. I replaced the Shut off Solenoid valve on top of the EVAP canister with one from Advanced Auto. A guy at a Honda dealership told me that if the part wasn't OEM, that it was most likely the issue. Can I believe him? I'm not buying what he is selling...

I'll check on that rear solenoid tonight...not sure where it would be though. Will the soapy water test work with the car off, or should it be running so that the system can build up pressure?

Any thoughts on that collapsed hose at the top of the EVAP canister?

Sorry for the Q's! Just a DIY Dad trying to save a buck for his college bound daughters car

Scott
Old 12-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skramer
Ezone...you lost me. I have no idea what that means
Look at this pdf link, but test first to confirm there is a reason to go there, don't just throw expensive parts at it.
Old 12-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

A guy at a Honda dealership told me that if the part wasn't OEM, that it was most likely the issue. Can I believe him? I'm not buying what he is selling...
That can be true, however I installed an aftermarket one on my girlfriend's car, and (knocks on wood) it's been working for over a year with no check engine light.

I'll check on that rear solenoid tonight...not sure where it would be though. Will the soapy water test work with the car off, or should it be running so that the system can build up pressure?
Should work with the car off since there's pressure in the tank.
It's on the gas tank near where the filler hose goes in
Read the link Ezone posted and do any tests in there.