Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to determine AC System oil level

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RayfenWindspear is an unknown quantity at this point
How to determine AC System oil level

I'll start by saying that I think I need more PAG in my AC system, but I'm not sure how one actually determines that. It feels like the system is pulling more power from the engine than it should. Is there any way to tell if the oil is low/high?

Now some background. AC comp died and I decided to replace the entire system myself. All new parts, save the pipelines, which I flushed. Reading the tag on the engine compartment said 5oz PAG oil, which I promptly loaded into the compressor before sealing up the system and rotating the compressor a few times.

Now comes the part I'm not sure about and should have done more research. I made the (true??, false??) assumption that the 5oz I loaded into the completely clean system was what it needed, and proceeded to pull a vac, then charge with the R134a cans THAT DON'T HAVE OIL. Should I have chosen the 12oz cans that come with like 2oz oil (so 10oz R134a) to add to the clean system? On top of this, I accidentally introduced some air into the system, so I had it professionally evac'd and refilled. Does that negate any mistakes I might have made, or does that just further complicate things?

Any recommendations would be nice. I'm worried the system is not oiled enough and my wife has a road trip in three weeks.
Old 10-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to determine AC System oil level

The tag said it takes 5 oz oil, and you installed 5 oz oil. Done.

If you add more oil, your system won't have 5 oz oil.

But whenever freon is discharged some amount of oil can be carried out of the system with the freon, so sometimes some is added during charging to replenish that amount lost.