Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Hatchback door lift

Old 02-21-2018
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Hatchback door lift

A week or two ago I was lifting the hatchback door in my Civic. I heard a blasting noise from the right side, where the door lift is, and I smelled a foul odor. Since then, the door has had no lift at all—if I want it up, I have to hold it up, and when I let go, it slams shut.

At any rate, how much is it generally, to replace those things—I’m talking about having a mechanic replace the door lift, unless it is SUPER easy (in which case, I’d be willing to take a crack at it, but only if it could easily be done, with basic tools).
Old 02-21-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 98 Hatchback door lift

pretty easy to swap out, there's a metal clip you pop up with a small flathead screwdriver, and then the bottom end will pop off,or you can remove the bottom bracket with a bolt. The top is just a bolt i think, or it will be similar to the bottom. The canadian honda part website I sometimes use lists them for around $200 each.
Rockauto has them for $8 to $23
Old 02-21-2018
prr
Registered!!

I found one at the Napa site: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8195681

The site says that it fits my civic.

That seems cheap enough.

Is Balkamp a reputable parts supplier? I suppose I can call my local Honda dealer and ask for a price on the OEM version.

Would there be any reason to go OEM here?
Old 02-21-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

if the picture is accurate then it looks like its bolts on both ends, that will make it super easy. I'm sure they'll be fine, if it lasts a couple years you're laughing. I wouldn't bother paying multiple times more for the oem ones, certain things you buy oem, I wouldn't for these.
Old 02-21-2018
prr
Registered!!

Sounds like a good deal then.

For what it's worth, scrolling down that page, the site says that the manufacturer is AVM. Not sure who that is, if this makes a difference.
Old 02-21-2018
FrankenCivic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dcstomp83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by prr
I found one at the Napa site: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8195681

The site says that it fits my civic.

That seems cheap enough.

Is Balkamp a reputable parts supplier? I suppose I can call my local Honda dealer and ask for a price on the OEM version.

Would there be any reason to go OEM here?

certain things you want to go oem on...parts that start the car...parts that keep the car running...things that stop the car....everything else...aftermarket
Old 02-23-2018
prr
Registered!!

Wait--I just realized that there is also a unit on the drivers side as well.

Can I ignore this--does this one also keep the hatchback lifted up? Or would I have to replace that one, as well? I am 100% sure that the sound I heard came from the passenger side, which is why I never bothered to look at the drivers side of the hatchback. So I am assuming that the passenger side lift was actually doing all the work, while the drivers side was simply acting as a hinge, of sorts, to ease teh movement up and down.
Old 02-23-2018

you should do both, otherwise it may try to twist as you lift because there's only one good one