Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New fuel injectors.. reset ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New fuel injectors.. reset ECU?

I have a 96 Civic HX, D16Y5 engine. The obd2 scanner (live data) was showing the Short and Long term fuel trims were very rich.
So after diagnosing everything else, it was pointing to bad injectors.

I replaced the fuel injectors and the fuel trims returned to normal.
I've heard that when a new sensor is replaced on the engine it's best to reset the ECU to "learn" the new sensor.

If the obd2 live data is showing the injectors are working properly now..

EDIT:
Would there be any benefit to resetting the ECU?

Last edited by oneheadlight; 11-05-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New fuel injectors.. reset ECU?

"Sensors" are input controls for the ECM. Fuel injectors are an output control.
Fuel trims went back to normal, the computer has already learned and compensated.

Codes were erased?
Idle relearn completed?
That's it, it's done.
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
"Sensors" are input controls for the ECM. Fuel injectors are an output control.
Fuel trims went back to normal, the computer has already learned and compensated.

Codes were erased?
Idle relearn completed?
That's it, it's done.
great point! duh.. injectors are the result of the sensors (input) telling it what to do, so it would be an output device. Yeah I never did get any codes, but this 96 civic was part of that EPA lawsuit back then when Honda wasn't having certain things show a check engine light. Honda lost the case, but I haven't ever seen a CEL when things go bad.. I've learned to watch the live data, and test things with a multimeter, when I can. Even when the primary 02 was dead, no CEL. lol.. guess this is why the EPA went after them. Makes sense.

Idle re-learn was done awhile ago, before the injectors were diagnosed as bad. ok just trying to be perfect here, I'll leave it alone since it's working correctly now. thanks for the help!
Old 11-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

before the injectors were diagnosed as bad
I'd want to make it do an idle learn again.
Old 11-10-2017
Registered!!

Talking Re: New fuel injectors.. reset ECU?

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd want to make it do an idle learn again.
hey ezone! I didn't see your reply until now. You're right, relearn did not add anything new. Same idle as before, lol. Guess I'm just a perfectionist. I do appreciate the help, the part about injectors are just an output device. So true! Things are good with the car, engine running very well. so thanks again.