Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Plastic burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Plastic burning smell

I am not sure if the two are related, but I had to replace my radiator cap and now it's spitting coolant out once it gets warm.... But anyways

I've noticed after my car has warmed up and been driven for a while, It will make a burning plastic smell, Almost like a Shopping bag got caught on the exhaust or something... I've checked all under the car and can't see anything obviously wrong.

Or would it just be the hot coolant leaking onto areas in the engine bay? It seems like the longer I drive it, especially longer highway trips I can smell it more from even sitting in the car with windows down. Cars engine temp is fine, no smoke... just that smell.
Old 10-23-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Plastic burning smell

Automatic or manual transmission?

Why did you replace the radiator cap?
Coolant spitting out from where? Did you purchase an OEM or aftermarket radiator cap?
Could you be confusing smell with burnt rubber?
Coolant smell from overspill or leak on a hot engine or radiator can last a long time
Old 10-23-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Automatic or manual transmission?

Why did you replace the radiator cap?
Coolant spitting out from where? Did you purchase an OEM or aftermarket radiator cap?
Could you be confusing smell with burnt rubber?
Coolant smell from overspill or leak on a hot engine or radiator can last a long time
Automatic.

It's spitting out from the cap, I replace the cap originally because the old one fell apart when I went to check the fluid one day.

It was one from AutoZone, All I could afford.

No, It definitely smells like burning plastic...
Old 10-23-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Slicer1989
Automatic.

It's spitting out from the cap, I replace the cap originally because the old one fell apart when I went to check the fluid one day.

It was one from AutoZone, All I could afford.

No, It definitely smells like burning plastic...
Either the aftermarket cap is not sealing like it should or too much pressure in coolant system. OEM cap is probably less than $25 at local Honda dealer. Insert a hi-temp (250 F) thermometer in radiator neck at operating temp to get a reading.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-23-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

could be a plastic bag stuck to the rad, once you can start to smell it stop driving and start trying to figure out where the smell is coming from
Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Either the aftermarket cap is not sealing like it should or too much pressure in coolant system. OEM cap is probably less than $25 at local Honda dealer. Insert a hi-temp (250 F) thermometer in radiator neck at operating temp to get a reading.
It's probably the aftermarket cap, it's a cheap $10 one from AutoZone. I just don't have the money to buy another right now :/

Originally Posted by Colin42
could be a plastic bag stuck to the rad, once you can start to smell it stop driving and start trying to figure out where the smell is coming from
I'm gonna do that today.