Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broken Bolts That Hold Sway Bar Bussing Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lindylex is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken Bolts That Hold Sway Bar Bussing Now What?

How do I get these broken off bolts out? This work is being done curbside. I am not sure if I will have much success with a drill since I can not really get myself lined up well to do this because of clearance.

Old 07-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Broken Bolts That Hold Sway Bar Bussing Now What?

How do I get these broken off bolts out?
I'd probably be drilling.

This work is being done curbside. I am not sure if I will have much success with a drill since I can not really get myself lined up well to do this because of clearance.
Then move it. Raise it. Whatever. Unless you can think of something other than drilling, you're gonna be drilling.
Old 07-30-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

EZ-Out and a drill.

Move the car to a better location.
Old 07-30-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat
EZ-Out
Break one off in a stuck bolt and tell me just how EZ it is.

I'd just use the drill with plenty of patience. Heli-coil or other thread repair if needed.

I might wonder if it needs the sway bar at all, removing it might be a lot quicker to get OP back on the road.
Old 07-30-2017
Registered!!

Where do I get the replacement bolts when I get this out?
Old 07-30-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd probably be drilling.

Then move it. Raise it. Whatever. Unless you can think of something other than drilling, you're gonna be drilling.
I can raise it with my 4 tons jack. It is not really lots of clearance to get the drill straight. This is why I mentioned the height.
Old 07-30-2017

A metric nut and bolt selection at a parts store would probably have suitable replacements.
If you still have an unbroken bolt from the opposite side bracket use that to match it up. Length can probably be fudged to reach the nearest 5mm.

Is there open space above where you can reach the stub of the broken bolt ?
Old 07-31-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Freeze spray + bolt extractor.