Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Batteries keep smelling like sulfur

Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
joenobodyyet is an unknown quantity at this point
Batteries keep smelling like sulfur

1997 Honda Civic LX manual transmission

My car battery started smelling like sulfur/rotten eggs today and then my car died.

Backstory: A few months ago when I used my air conditioning, there was a belt squealing. Over time it seemed to only happen when I turned on the AC, but then the sound would dissipate. After about 2 weeks it didn't seem to happen at all. Two weeks ago I noticed a rotten egg smell coming from my vents when I used the air conditioner and when I just had the blower on. Usually happened after I was driving for a while. I Never smelled anything from the exhaust. I checked my battery, and 4 days after noticing the smell, I changed my battery to a new one. The old battery had bubbling around the positive terminal (very small bubbling in one pea size spot). It definitely had a slight smell like rotten eggs. I drove down to North Carolina for July 4th week with a new battery and everything was fine. Arrived back in Philadelphia, PA on Saturday and the car was running great. Used the cruise control and air conditioning the entire 7 hours down, 7 hours back.

Today, July 10th, I was driving about an hour away and it started smelling like rotten eggs again. 15 minutes later, the car died on the side of the road while driving. The new battery had 2 ventilation tubes (I got it for free because I was in a rush and don't want to put money in this 97 ha) and they smelled bad. I was able to put a new battery in, but the car sounded like it would start right up, but it just wouldn't turn. While turning the key, I pressed the gas to see if that would help it start, but it didn't work. When I pressed the gas, it felt like nothing would happen, even though turning the key sounded promising. My car is still on the side of the road.

It seems like the batteries are overheating, which is causing them to leak with the rotten egg smell. I think? Could there be a wire shorting somewhere? Is there a sensor that needs to be replaced? If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'm not an expert but I have worked on my car a bit... because it's a 1997 ha.

Last edited by joenobodyyet; 07-10-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Batteries keep smelling like sulfur

Alternator was probably overcharging (voltage too high) causing battery to boil. If you hooked up a voltmeter I bet it would have read 16 volts or higher.
This sure can ruin a battery, blow out light bulbs, and wreak electrical havoc. Some cars will turn on the SRS light but set no code when voltage is too high.

Now it died, Alternator may have finally crapped out and the battery ran down?
Won't start, Does it crank? Is the battery too weak now and does it need a jump start?
Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Alternator was probably overcharging (voltage too high) causing battery to boil. If you hooked up a voltmeter I bet it would have read 16 volts or higher.
This sure can ruin a battery, blow out light bulbs, and wreak electrical havoc. Some cars will turn on the SRS light but set no code when voltage is too high.

Now it died, Alternator may have finally crapped out and the battery ran down?
Won't start, Does it crank? Is the battery too weak now and does it need a jump start?
I didn't test the alternator :/. Battery definitely cranks, by crank I mean it sounded exactly like it sounds when it starts up, only this time it wouldn't turn and start. Battery was purchased 10 mins before I installed it and instead of struggling with slow cranks, it sounded like a brand new battery.
Old 07-10-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Battery was purchased 10 mins before I installed it
I somehow missed that in the first post.

So a plain old no-start now......basics: Compression, fuel, spark. Which isn't right?
Check for any fault codes?
Pull a couple plugs, see if they are wet, or if they are dry?
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I somehow missed that in the first post.

So a plain old no-start now......basics: Compression, fuel, spark. Which isn't right?
Check for any fault codes?
Pull a couple plugs, see if they are wet, or if they are dry?

Someone recommended a new alternator, but I think a brand new battery still should have started the car. Right? I think it might be the timing belt. My car is 30 mins away and I'm not too sure how to remove the valve cover so I can remove the timing belt cover to see if it snapped or not. My fingers are crossed but I think it might be time for me to retire my 97 civic
Old 07-12-2017

brand new battery still should have started the car. Right?
Yes

to see if it snapped or not
Take a flashlight. Remove oil fill cap. Look in hole, you will see at least one rocker arm.
Have someone crank the engine over...that rocker arm should move up and down at regular intervals if the cam is turning.

If the cam is not turning, the sound of the starter will be unusual and uneven.
Instead of an even ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh it might now be ruh-ruh-weeeeee-ruh-ruh-weeeee-ruh-ruh-weeeeee-ruh-ruh-weeeeee-

Search this Thread