Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P1259 on Mini me

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kej6 is an unknown quantity at this point
P1259 on Mini me

I just did a y7 to y8 mini me swap using the p2p a92 (auto) computer and I CANNOT get the vtec failure/ b1 vtec failure fixed/cleared...I've read up on grounding the vtec pressure switch, jumping the pressure switch to the vtec solenoid at the ecu...nothing...beginning to think its mechanical. ideas? can a faulty knock sensor trip this? I've checked oil every morning and its plenty full..I haven't driven it yet because i believe this puts the car into limp mode cant accelerate past 4,000 rpm so trying to fix before i do the official test drive...
Old 05-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P1259 on Mini me

can a faulty knock sensor trip this?
No.

Got freeze frame data to post?

Does your scanner show datalist for the status of the VTEC command and pressure switch response?
Old 05-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No.

Got freeze frame data to post?

Does your scanner show datalist for the status of the VTEC command and pressure switch response?
scanner wont show any live or freeze frame on vtec except the error code..
then again my car rpm hasn't even seen 4-5k? would this matter?
Old 05-12-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Code number is....? (P1259? Something different?)
Does it reset new code at key on, or at idle, or what RPM does it code?

How did you wire the VTEC parts?
How did you connect new wiring to the ECM? In the correct cavities?

What can you test to see if it is working (do you understand how it's supposed to work, what the ECM looks for)?
Old 05-13-2017
Registered!!

It stays same no matter what setting...inition I,II etc..i took it off real quick from the head..no oil came out. filters tore removing them...either i bought faulty off ebay or someway its not getting oil...?
pictures:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...2d3cy1tUzhiNjA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...UtneGExQzJkWk0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...2drSWp3aklvM28

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...HF5QVVIUk1zX1k
Old 05-13-2017

It stays same no matter what setting...inition I,II etc..
That didn't tell me anything.

HEY I only see a single wire for the solenoid on top of the VTEC.......Where's the wires for its pressure switch?
Doesn't it have a pressure switch? I don't even see that hanging out the side of the valve. Uhhhhhh that could be the whole problem if it's missing

Anyway...
Both VTEC gaskets can be bought even though the parts catalog doesn't show the small upper one... in your year.
Buy the filter gasket for the year head you have (1999?-- 15825-P2M-005), then the upper gasket you need is found by looking up for a 1995 Civic EX.-- 36172-P08-005

i took it off real quick from the head..no oil came out.
Since you took it off......I want to say unplug the distributor so it cannot start,,,,and have someone crank the starter while you watch just to see if oil is getting pumped to that area (might make another mess)
Old 05-13-2017
Registered!!

i do have the pressure switch wires.. i'm awaiting a pigtail for the connections but i ran two wires (pressure +) and the ground to pressure...then bought pigtail for solenoid plug and ran it to ecu as well...are you saying the solenoid itself has more then just the yellow/green wire? i grounded pressure switch to the mounting bolt of the whole system. if this makes sense. also i have a knock sensor i screwed into y7 block which i'm hoping is working..
Old 05-13-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That didn't tell me anything.

Since you took it off......I want to say unplug the distributor so it cannot start,,,,and have someone crank the starter while you watch just to see if oil is getting pumped to that area (might make another mess)
yeah i fall into that 99-00 range..so that's caused me a few mistakes along the way IE the first ECU i bought..haha
Old 05-13-2017

Single wire for the solenoid
2 wires for the pressure switch (one is ground, other goes to ECM)

Ohm check pressure switch--- it should read zero ohms (meaning contacts are closed) (engine off)
Old 05-13-2017
Registered!!

Will check later today...two things I'm wondering now. 1.) Does the vtec oil pressure switch click/rattle (like pcv valve) when shaken? As in can you test it like you would pcv valve? And 2) do I need to worry about not having removed an"oil orfice pin" from the block before mounting the head? I keep reading that when searching... pretty sure I didn't see one on y7 block?
Old 05-13-2017

Never shaken one but it beter not rattle IMO......It's an electrical switch not a valve

Orifice....IDK....check a parts catalog see if a block for EX/VTEC came with an orifice in it?