Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 LX, D16Y7 Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zain is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 LX, D16Y7 Sound

my 2000 Civic LX Sedan has been more trouble than i hoped it would, partly because i was not very attentive when looking to buy the car. Regardless, I have decided I want to sell it, and save up for a nicer car (maybe a 7th/8th gen civic?)

Anyways, I posted it on cl and immediately got plenty of offers. The first person to look at it identified a weird noise in the engine bay and told me i had bent valves.

The car runs great, and it seems the sound is most-apparent after the engine is warmed up

My question is: would the car run fine with a bent valve (or multiple bent valves)?

Link of what it sounds like, this was after i drove it for a few miles

Last edited by zain; 04-10-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: adding youtube link
Old 04-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 LX, D16Y7 Sound

The first person to look at it identified a weird noise in the engine bay and told me i had bent valves.
Trying to use any excuse to lowball you?....move on to the next buyer.
Old 04-09-2017
Registered!!

well i hear the sound and fear that the car is not fit for driving, yet it does so fine. should i worry? Would the car run fine with bent valves?
Old 04-09-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

well i hear the sound
and fear that the car is not fit for driving,
I don't hear anything. Where's your youtube link?

yet it does so fine. should i worry?
Car is for sale AS IS.
Any future problems will be the responsibility of the next owner.

Would the car run fine with bent valves?
Nope.
Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

Old 04-10-2017

Sounds 'clicky' like it may need the valves clearances checked and adjusted.
Diag by internet video sucks though, it's not near as good as hearing it in person.

What does it sound like if you rev it up a little? How about holding steady 2000 RPM?

Someone trying to lowball you is gonna give a line of crap (does not matter if it's truth or lies) in attempt to make you think there's some random impending disaster---hoping you will sell the car dirt cheap
(Even if it were free they would still want you to pay them to take it off your hands!)
The lowballers only goal is to get the car as cheap as possible (probably a curbstoner, gonna flip it on CL again later).
Don't ever let anything they say get into your head.

If you want to know what's wrong with it, talk to someone who actually fixes them on purpose. Not some random who is trying to buy it off of you.
Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

thanks for the heads up, it gets faster with higher rpm.

the car is rarely used, except i need to replace the brake caliper on my daily before i can safely drive it. would you say even with the valve clearance needing adjustment, its safe to drive? (15 mi round trip for work, maybe a few extra to go to gym, grocery store, etc)
Old 04-10-2017

Originally Posted by zain
thanks for the heads up, it gets faster with higher rpm.
But it doesn't get (alarmingly) louder, right?
Doesn't sound like a coffee can full of rocks, right?

would you say even with the valve clearance needing adjustment, its safe to drive?
Like I said, video and sound diagnosis over the internet (and on a laptop) kinda sucks.

If it is the actual issue, it didn't get that way overnight. It's been that way for quite a while.
You've already been driving it for how long the way it is?
Without a problem, right?
You never noticed anything until someone else pointed it out, right?

Engine has oil showing on the dipstick, yes?
Keep driving it.

Or spend an hour doing the valve adjustments and see if that makes it quieter.
Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

alright thanks man! appreciate the help.