Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 civic coolent fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dffdixie is an unknown quantity at this point
01 civic coolent fan problem

Hey everyone I have a 01 honda civic lx and It has been overheating, so I found out that my fans won't come on unless I turn the ac on, so I went under the hood in the fuse an relay box an found the 20 amp fuse took it out an the ac fan still ran but the coolent one did not, so I put it back in an it came on with the ac fan.... I turned the ac off an found the relay under the hood and swapped it with the horn relay cause it had the same numbers an the fans are working like there supposed to now, but my question is how can I check an make sure the fans are workin or what the problem might be or have been....
Old 10-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 01 civic coolent fan problem

If both fans ran when the AC was on that verified they will work if the PCM tells them to.

The only thing left for fans is to verify the temperature switch (in thermostat housing) works correctly and the fans will run when that sensors connector is jumped.

Low coolant in the radiator causing overheat? Reservoir overfills and/or overflows?
Replace the head gasket....check head for warpage.
Old 10-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dffdixie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea it was pushing coolent into the overflow, but oil looked good an it passed head gasket tests, so I replaced the thermostat and then filled it up with coolent and the car got to operating temperature but the fans never kicked on.... I ran the car a good 10 mins burping the system and they never came on, then I started messing with the fuse an relay
Old 10-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Head gasket is blown. That failure may pass every check most people can think of.

There is only one test that has been dead reliable for me on this engine. A head gasket could fail in any of a dozen different ways but it consistently is just one particular way on this engine . It fools almost everyone who stumbles in here and posts that it can't possibly be a head gasket because it didn't bla bla bla.

10 minutes may not be long enough to get the fan to come on, depending on conditions. If there is any breeze at all or if it is relatively cool out it may stay cooled enough to not need to run the fans.

Last edited by ezone; 10-26-2016 at 11:22 PM.