Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Neutral Safety Switch 1999 Civic DX (CANNOT FIND REPLACEMENT PART ANYWHERE)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gobzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Neutral Safety Switch 1999 Civic DX (CANNOT FIND REPLACEMENT PART ANYWHERE)

Alright, so... I got my DX Hatchback serviced a while ago and got a P0705 Error Code. Did some research and found out that the neutral safety switch/transmission range sensor is going out. Sure enough, the car started slipping into neutral while I was driving around and would die when I was idling at stop lights.

The issue I'm having now, is that I cannot for the LIFE of me, find the correct replacement part. All the info I've found online is telling me that the correct replacement part is the NS109, which has 13 blades in the terminal. The only problem is that the one I removed from my car only has 12 blades and the only model NSS I can find with 12 blades is the JA489, which (according to all the different websites I checked) is not compatible with my car. I've included photos of the original and one of the incompatible replacement parts I've tried on it.

What's more, I had Autozone order me the JA489 but when it arrived, it had fricking 13 blades, despite the description stating it only had 12. So I'm at the end of my rope here and was hoping that someone can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance and fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Original NSS.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	89118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Incorrect Replacement NSS.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	89119  
Old 09-21-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Neutral Safety Switch 1999 Civic DX (CANNOT FIND REPLACEMENT PART ANYWHERE)

Junk Yard?

Or bring the old part into a Honda dealer and get them to figure out which part you need?

Is it the original engine + trans, did someone put something else in it?
Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gobzer
Alright, so... I got my DX Hatchback serviced a while ago and got a P0705 Error Code. Did some research and found out that the neutral safety switch/transmission range sensor is going out. Sure enough, the car started slipping into neutral while I was driving around and would die when I was idling at stop lights.

The issue I'm having now, is that I cannot for the LIFE of me, find the correct replacement part. All the info I've found online is telling me that the correct replacement part is the NS109, which has 13 blades in the terminal. The only problem is that the one I removed from my car only has 12 blades and the only model NSS I can find with 12 blades is the JA489, which (according to all the different websites I checked) is not compatible with my car. I've included photos of the original and one of the incompatible replacement parts I've tried on it.

What's more, I had Autozone order me the JA489 but when it arrived, it had fricking 13 blades, despite the description stating it only had 12. So I'm at the end of my rope here and was hoping that someone can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance and fingers crossed!
I did some digging at rockauto.com, did you look at them yet? I plugged in NS109 and came up with SMP (standard motor products) part..

But here's the problem, when I look at the pictures of the harness plug, I see 13 connections on the NS109.

But the ns211 (looks like 12 pins) it is for the HX, which had a CVT transmission. Not what you'd have in your DX. Makes me wonder if someone screwed up your car before and put the wrong part in?!! You should check and see how many wire connections you have on the main harness not the part you took out.

Take a look at the rockauto link and look at the pictures, count the pin connections and you'll see.. so let us know what you find with the wiring harness in the car..

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/h...ge+sensor,4584

Old 09-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

1) P0705 should not exist in that car. Code should be P1705. I'm not sure your code reader is reliable.

2) The difference in number of terminals is likely the difference between switch assembly for CVT trans vs. regular automatic trans.

3) Aftermarket alarm or remote start could cause the code if someone tapped into the NSS wiring as a starter circuit cut or enable.

4) The connector on the switch could have more or less terminals than the cars harness it connects to.

5) 99 Civic DX 3door....Looks like the switch for auto trans from Honda catalog is part # 35700-S04-A01
This part number IS available and can be ordered from your local dealer as of this writing. Double check with your local dealer or any of the online parts catalogs, make sure to enter your VIN as the car lookup instead of 'building your car' in the menus.
Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by oneheadlight

But the ns211 (looks like 12 pins) it is for the HX, which had a CVT transmission. Not what you'd have in your DX. Makes me wonder if someone screwed up your car before and put the wrong part in?!! You should check and see how many wire connections you have on the main harness not the part you took out.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/h...ge+sensor,4584

One of the previous owners has done some (poorly done) tinkering with this vehicle and I think it had been in an accident at some point. When I bought it, one corner of the front fascia and one of the headlights was a bit pinched in (hard to notice until I was scrutinizing the front end) and there was no horn connected to the relay (I put a horn from a midsize sedan in it, which has a nice beefy sound haha), so I wouldn't be surprised if some monkeying around had been done elsewhere. I've got a bunch of errands to run but I'm going to check the harness when I get back to see what's going on.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

One last thing...

When I went in to Autozone today to return the safety switch, I spoke with a different guy and he said it sounds like the problem might be with the solenoid and not the safety switch. Because when I plugged in the switches that didn't work right, the car wouldn't even turn over AND it wouldn't release the key from the steering column. I had to plug the original back in to get the key out.
Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Quick update:

Just ran out and looked at the harness real quick, it DOES only have 11 terminals.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160921_164255[1].jpg
Views:	222
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	89120  
Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gobzer
Quick update:

Just ran out and looked at the harness real quick, it DOES only have 11 terminals.
I think you need to download the 96-2000 Civic service manual, you can find it in many places. I was just reading it and you'll need to test the interlock, which could stop it from starting. As well as the automatic gear switch (neutral safety switch). you sound like you are very capable in testing these parts, just need the testing method, and that's where the service manual will help you.

About the original parts question, looking at the service manual wiring diagram for your automatic, it doesn't use all the inputs you found on the wiring harness. I thought that would be a quick way to look for the answer. I bet if you went to the dealer and gave them your VIN you'd see that the correct part is the number I found and the one e-zone posted.

And yeah I thought the previous owner messed with the car! It's not just Honda previous owners, see it everywhere, people really don't have a clue about working on cars!

oh and the source for the civic service manual where I got mine was manualslib.com I liked the version I got because it includes the wiring diagram supplement in that pdf file! very good stuff!

and you're welcome for the help!

EDIT: Also have to add, that reading the service manual, there are 13 connections on the switch side for the automatic. So yup, someone put the wrong switch in there! No wonder it isn't working correctly!

Last edited by oneheadlight; 09-21-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2016
Registered!!

Did some testing, looks like the slider on the safety switch has too much slop. Putting her into park causes the switch to slide too far up and it locks everything up. Gonna head to a dealership next and have a chat with the parts guy.
Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

ahhh that makes sense. I think you'll finally get this solved with a chat at the parts counter (dealer). I know you'll probably spend a little more for the part, but at least you'll get it fixed correctly. But I'm wondering if there are any part numbers on the existing part, but the parts guy can tell you where that came from too. I'm still thinking it's from the CVT in the HX Coupe.