Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Civic died out and won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97civi is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Civic died out and won't start?

So I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX, 1.6 Vtec 5 speed. I was out for a drive yesterday and when I switched gears from 4th or 5th and the car died. So I tried to turn it over and and you can hear the starter hit and the entire engine jerks, but the motor won't turn over. Brand new battery, had the starter checked and they said it's good. I recently did pistons and rings, and a new stage 3 clutch so I'm not sure what happened? Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 1997 Civic died out and won't start?

Originally Posted by 97civi
So I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX, 1.6 Vtec 5 speed.
Stock DX is not a Vtec engine. Was there a motor swap?

Originally Posted by 97civi
I tried to turn it over and and you can hear the starter hit and the entire engine jerks, but the motor won't turn over. Brand new battery, had the starter checked and they said it's good. I recently did pistons and rings, and a new stage 3 clutch so I'm not sure what happened? Any ideas?
How about more history when you post!
Why did it need pistons and rings?
How long ago did you replace the pistons and rings and how many miles have you put on the engine since?
Did you replace the timing belt too when you did the pistons and rings?

Air, fuel, and spark ...which one or combination of is it deficient?
Read: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...rt-condition-1
Read: http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...1-***-1992733/
Googs Search: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...tart+diagnosis

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-18-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2016
Registered!!

It has a motor swap in it. I had piston and rings done because it was smoking, so I figured it would be a good idea to get them done before the motor goes to far. I've put about 400 miles and I replaced timing belt and water pump.
Old 02-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and you can hear the starter hit and the entire engine jerks,
What does that mean?

had the starter checked and they said it's good
Was that test done on the car or did you carry it in to the zone?
Old 02-18-2016
Registered!!

When you turn the key to start it, you can hear the starter hit hard and the engine jerks forward like it wants to turn over but nothing happens. I carried it in to have it checked.
Old 02-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

you can hear the starter hit hard and the engine jerks forward like it wants to turn over but nothing happens.
So the crankshaft does not spin when the starter tries to engage?

Starter makes a loud clunk, right?
Then do the dash lights go dim or do they stay pretty bright?

----

If they go dim, that would mean the crankshaft probably can't spin and it's loading the starter motor heavy, it's trying to pull all the amps the battery and cables can give.

Put a wrench or socket on the crank pulley bolt, see if you can spin it by hand.

If any accessory drive pulley locked up the starter may not be able to turn it (compressor pulley or adjuster locked up?). Remove belts to see if the crankshaft will then be allowed to rotate.

If the engine locked up the starter will not be able to turn it.

-----

OTOH if the lights stay bright after the starter goes clunk, it may be losing connection on the large pos cable from battery directly to the starter, probably at the battery cable clamp. Google how to do a voltage drop test on the starter circuits.