Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Aftermarket Motor Mount Vibration (NVH)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Aftermarket Motor Mount Vibration (NVH)

I found reply below on another site and thought I'd post it for anyone experiencing vibrations from aftermarket motor mounts. I installed Anchor brand a year ago on my 1997 Civic EX coupe and had increased vibrations felt through steering wheel while idling and in gear with brakes engaged (stop-lights). I installed the Anchor's in sequence as recommended on a thread I read, as well as "neutralized" them. but didn't reduce vibration.

"Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I want to be clear that aftermarket mounts (Anchor brand specifically) are *NOT* the same as OEM mounts. This doesn't apply just to Acura/Honda.

You can't rely on duro spec (this is an asinine thing to say anyway - I guarantee you'll never find a duro spec for an OEM mount).

Many of the mounts on the higher end cars now are designed to be active, not static like a plain old rubber mount you used to find on cars. What I mean is that in some cases they're tuned to be soft at idle but stiffen up via a switch/solenoid when certain conditions are met (determined by the manufacturer of the car of course).

There's a reason the stock mounts on these newer cars are expensive. They're pretty advanced (for lack of a better word) compared to an aftermarket motor mount. Better rubber, better fluid, etc etc. which all lead to a decrease in NVH. Good rubber is not cheap. Does honda inflate the cost of these parts? No doubt. But I will tell you that it's almost impossible to get the same QUALITY of mounts except through the OEM's. sometimes you can, especially on older cars that don't use hydraulic or solenoid activated mounts or cars that aren't designed to have super low levels of NVH.

in almost 100% of cases you WILL get substantial increase in NVH when switching to an
aftermarket mount aftermarket mount

I work in the automotive aftermarket field and work closely with many suppliers. I can absolutely without a doubt tell you that aftermarket mounts are not in the same realm of sophistication as the OEM mounts, specifically on the nicer Acuras and other imports.

Anchor mounts with the OEM honda number stamped in doesn't mean anything. Lots of aftermarket suppliers do this. It references what OEM supplier they're making the part to cross reference to. I'm sure it also helps sales by indirectly making consumers think they're getting an OEM or
OEM quality mount OEM quality mount
. I can assure you they're not the same.

Hold a new
OEM mount up OEM mount up
to a new aftermarket mount. You'll see that the aftermarket mount has a different texture to the rubber. More casting/mold "flash". the rubber will also generally be painted glossy black. Side by side you can usually see the differences. Inside the mount is what matters most.

There's a reason why our front and rear mounts especially are pricey. They're pretty sophisticated with a high content of quality materials and engineering.

With that said, as long as you don't race your car or NEED stiffer mounts, go with OEM at least for the front and rear mounts. The left and right side mounts you can cheap out on (Anchor) without increasing NVH levels much.

DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE FRONT OR REAR MOUNTS on your Acura unless you want to increase NVH! (Steering wheel shake at idle etc).

I don't know about you guys but I bought my car to be smooth, quiet and comfortable. If you bought yours for the same reason, follow my advice.

If you race your car or have a need to have your engine stiff, by all means buy Anchor brand etc. many times they come with a LLW!"