Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

US alternator vs. Canadian alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shershbe is an unknown quantity at this point
US alternator vs. Canadian alternator

Have a 1998 Civic EX that needs an alternator. The Firestone folks who tested it said that there's a difference between the US-made and Canadian-made alternators and wouldn't know which I need until they "got in there" to the tune of several hundred bucks.
The AutoZone/Advanced Auto/O'Reilly's guys say there's no difference except the price.
The car was made in Canada, but I know this doesn't mean the alternator was. Can anybody tell me if there is actually a difference between the two? Does it matter which I get as long as it has a 4P socket to match my 4P plug?
I know I could take in the alternator I have, but I was really hoping to only get under the car once. (The ground's wet and I'm lazy. Sue me.)
Thanks for your input.
Old 11-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: US alternator vs. Canadian alternator

Originally Posted by shershbe
Have a 1998 Civic EX that needs an alternator. The Firestone folks who tested it said that there's a difference between the US-made and Canadian-made alternators

Old 11-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
It took me a minute to stop laughing too..

Have a 1998 Civic EX that needs an alternator.
Is the check engine light on too?
How many codes are in it and what are they?

There's a reason I'm asking this.

The Firestone folks who tested it said that there's a difference between the US-made and Canadian-made alternators and wouldn't know which I need until they "got in there" to the tune of several hundred bucks.

Aaaand what will they do if they figure out it was made in Japan?
(The alternator was made by Mitsubishi.)

What if a new alternator doesn't charge either?

The AutoZone/Advanced Auto/O'Reilly's guys say there's no difference except the price.
There's only one choice for that car according to my Honda catalog too.
Old 11-18-2015
Registered!!

Gotcha. So that would be 2 votes for "it doesn't matter"
Nothing comes on unless I charge it for a really long time. (Haven't been driving it regularly in a while.) But to answer your question, I don't remember the check engine light coming on at all.
The battery's new-ish and the car will run if it's charged or jump-started, but I don't feel confident driving it very far or starting and stopping it very often.
Old 11-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Gotcha. So that would be 2 votes for "it doesn't matter"
Nothing comes on unless I charge it for a really long time. (Haven't been driving it regularly in a while.) But to answer your question, I don't remember the check engine light coming on at all.
The battery's new-ish and the car will run if it's charged or jump-started, but I don't feel confident driving it very far or starting and stopping it very often.
is your battery light coming on while the engine is running?
Old 11-18-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The battery's new-ish and the car will run if it's charged or jump-started,
It does not matter how new your battery is, draining it completely can drastically shorten its capacity and lifespan.
Draining repeatedly and/or leaving it in a discharged state can ruin it.

And, you could have something stuck on causing it to be drained as it sits.

I don't remember the check engine light coming on at all.
Those cars had an issue with a wire harness that would cause a fuse to blow, and it can set up to a half dozen different codes AND make the alternator quit charging.....without a warning light (battery symbol).
That's why I asked.
Old 11-20-2015
Registered!!

Battery light was not coming on while the engine was running.

Problem started a while back > I borrowed my grandmothers car and let the Honda sit > did ruin the battery that was in there and replaced it recently

Somebody else mentioned the draining possibility to me, but while I can follow directions to repair things I have no diagnostic skills, so I guess I was just hoping it was a more obvious culprit.

If the alternator is still good, but is not charging due to the wire harness/a blown fuse, would it test good if removed from the car?
Old 11-20-2015

Did you seriously ask this?
If the alternator is still good, but is not charging due to the wire harness/a blown fuse, would it test good if removed from the car?

Check fuse #15 (7.5A) in the dash fuse box.