Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!
View Poll Results: i don't know what this is
A
100.00%
B
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Hole in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muzzysallz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hole in the engine?

I ran over some debris about 1 month ago and my cars been in shop since. I need some urgent help. My engine is screwed up and the insurance company isn't wanting to pay for any of the damages besides the scrapes on the bumper. After hitting the object in the road the car was smoking. They have sent some pictures saying the hole thats in the engine wasn't caused from the impact. I have written some comical questions on them due to there copies not having any description. I need some feedback on how this hole was caused and if anyone else has seen such a crazy thing before. I truly believe they are just doing whatever they can to not pay for the repairs.
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	P0016-005037-Initial-05-22-2014_11-54-05.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	86706[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 10.46.07 AM.jpg
Views:	1686
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	86704   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0015-005037-Initial-05-22-2014_11-54-00.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	86705  
Old 06-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hole in the engine?

Where is this hole located?
Got a larger picture showing the area of the engine surrounding this hole?

Inspect the edges of this hole.
Did something punch the hole from the outside going in, or did something punch the hole as it was coming out of the engine?

What is the shiny brown surface I see through the hole?

How much oil is left in the engine?
Does the oil pan still hold oil at all?

I assume this engine "threw a rod" and caused the block to be "ventilated".

I guess you would need to prove that whatever you hit caused all your oil to be lost, then in turn your engine threw a rod and punched a hole in the block.
I don't see a hole in your oil pan, so I can't see or verify that you lost oil due to whatever you hit.

But I wasn't there when it happened, and I didn't inspect your car. I'm just some schmo on the intarwebs looking at your pictures.

The only other thing I can think of is to see if the bottom of the oil pan has been pushed upward, big dent in the bottom. THAT might cause the oil pump to "starve" of oil and cause oil pressure loss IF it got dented enough to contact the sump pickup tube inside.