Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16 pcv valve = frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ratpick is an unknown quantity at this point
D16 pcv valve = frustration

I just swapped this out. This was one of the most difficult things I've ever done on a car. I mean I've had to pull heads just broken intake bolts, fight with other rusted chassis parts, pull entire dash out for a squeak and other seriously pita type procedures. But this may have been tops. It's in a hard to get to spot. The rubber had become completely hard and brittle. Valve broke in half. Then I ripped wire out of oil pressure sensor plug. I fought with this thing for a total of almost two hours, spread over a couple days because I got frustrated and had to walk away. Used picks, screwdrivers, exacto, small needle nose and eventually pulled it all out. Maybe you'll say I sound like a little beeotch that doesn't know what they're doing, but go change one that hasn't been in years then see what.
I found several other threads on other forums about same issue, but just thought I'd share my woes anyway.
My advice, set aside some time, and get the new rubber grommet that it seats in before hand too. Remove oil filter. Unplug the sensor before you start working on valve. I ended up pushing the inside half of valve into breather box and then fished it out after ripping grommet out. I had to use some silicone brake lube on it to help shove new one in, still hard as eff cuz really bad angle to apply force.
The whole time I was just cussing Honda for not putting valve at other end of hose, up top on manifold, like every other car out there! Oh well. I learned something anyway
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	86671  
Old 05-27-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: D16 pcv valve = frustration

Sounds like a PITA, but I'm glad you prevailed!