Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1996 honda civic si power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondacivicsi96 is an unknown quantity at this point
1996 honda civic si power window problem

Hi,
Just trying to get on top of my power window problem before summer.
i have a 1996 honda civic si and the passenger side power window wont work. i took off the door panels too inspect and they remain off.

Problem: when i try to make it go up from the passenger side button it trys to move up a tiny bit and stops (its fully up already, so therefore it cant go up anymore, but seems like it could go up IF it was all the way down, if that makes sense). When i press down, nothing happens. Also when i press the buttons from the driver side nothing at all seems to happen. My power lock sometimes doesnt lock my passenger side door as well so i thought maybe its wiring. I briefly checked in the fenders, not much ware but i didnt take the door off and fully check. Im wondering if im wasting my time checking the wiring, could be a regulator? Any thoughts?! thanks!
Old 03-27-2014
Registered!!

Re: 1996 honda civic si power window problem

UPDATE

Tried to get more info today.
the window is all the way up, when i click the button for it to go down from the passenger side, a hear a tiny click coming from the driver side control system. Sounds like its trying to work but something is keeping it from going down. Regulator maybe?
Old 03-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the window motor tries to run in one direction but not the other, it's PROBABLY not the window motor or regulator.

You got a wiring or switch problem.

Start with a Test light and/or voltmeter, a wire diagram, and an understanding of the system and how to test it.

6th gens have been breaking wires in the jamb area, usually begins on the most used door (drivers door).

Here's a couple diagrams from a google search, just ignore the rear door parts if you have to LOL

I did NOT check the accuracy of these.
Your handy service manual ought to have wire diagrams, shouldn't it?
Old 03-28-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply! i am going to test it all at a friends house with his voltmeter. I will let you know if i find out the problem!