Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please help

Old 02-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drtydru is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help

I basically was driving on the freeway and started hearing loud clanks when I hit the gas. Pulled off and it was making the loud mechanical noise clank. I added two quarts of oil and drove to the shop. Basically I had him drain the oil to se if there was a leak and he said he drained it and there was only the two quarts of oil I had put in. So I was driving the car without oil and now there is a clicking noise when i rev the engine.

What could my issues be?

Thank you
Old 02-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please help

and drove to the shop.
what did the mechanic tell you the problem is?
and now there is a clicking noise when i rev the engine.
Sounds like a Gremlin with a sledgehammer trying to knock a hole in the side of the engine?
Old 02-15-2014
Registered!!

Tech said there was no oil in the car when I topped it off with the two quarts. I think its a gremlin too.
Old 02-15-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
what did the mechanic tell you the problem is?
Sounds like a Gremlin with a sledgehammer trying to knock a hole in the side of the engine?
Originally Posted by Drtydru
I think its a gremlin too.
I meant the noise as being a "death rattle".

Rod knock or any bottom end bearing noise.
Old 02-17-2014
Registered!!

not sure. I hear the noise at around 3k rpm range. its annoying. im juat wondering if its something i can fix without paying a mechanic $100 to look at
Old 02-17-2014

Old 02-17-2014

Does it sound like that?

That one needs an engine.
Old 02-18-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, that was painful. Sounds like a woodpecker got in there!
Old 02-18-2014

That's the 'Gremlin with a sledgehammer' I was talking about....
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

it does sound like that. are you serious that its a blown engine? not something less major maybe?
Old 02-18-2014

You let your engine run out of oil.
If it now hammers loud enough for people 2 lanes over to stare in disbelief, the next cool trick it could do is scatter parts all over the road.

Congratulations, you get to pay "the tax".
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

its not that loud. I can hear it but its not as bad as the video. it sounds similar but not nearly as loud.
Old 02-18-2014
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

oh eff....that video made me laugh. Honda really needs to make the CEL flash blue when you need a new engine.
Old 02-18-2014

its not that loud. I can hear it but its not as bad as the video. it sounds similar but not nearly as loud.
So it's only a little bit ruined then?

Much like being a "little bit pregnant"?

If it sounds like a threshing machine now instead of the sewing machine it used to sound like...... Guess what!
Old 02-18-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

On the bright side, you could always get a newer, more powerful engine!
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

I guess. Im moving and was about to try and sell it. weak. what in the engine is ****ed? i cant fix it?
Old 02-18-2014
Super Moderator

Something got warped inside the engine due to all the friction heat it generated from the lack of oil. You still might be able to get something for it as a fixer-upper if the body and interior are still decent...
Old 02-18-2014

Drop a $500 engine in it?

car-part.com
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

****. I feel like the sound was so much worse when there was no oil, understandably, but its so much quieter after the oil change.
Old 02-18-2014

what in the engine is ****ed?
Typical bearing failure after oil starvation

The crank journal and whatever else is hammering will be gouged and worn accordingly.

EDIT: And the trashed metal is likely now circulated all throughout the rest of the engine, lodged in every part of the oiling system, top to bottom.

i cant fix it?
Almost anything can be fixed.
Not for free.

A 'drop in' used engine is usually the cheapest option.

Last edited by ezone; 02-18-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2014

You could always just keep on driving it, see how long it will last before it hatches.

Search this Thread