Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

humming sound while trying to accelerate/slow to pick up speed on take off

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mxmarsh is an unknown quantity at this point
humming sound while trying to accelerate/slow to pick up speed on take off

I have a 97 civic ex automatic transmission with 200k+ miles and all the hoses and distributor cap was replaced, dont think the o2 sensors were but it does the same thing as the previous post mentioned. A low humming when trying to accelerate but as soon as I let it stops. When taking off the engine revs up to 3000 and sometimes stay there. Sometimes it will drop below 3000 if I go less than 65-70. Also when im going 50/60 or 75 it does seem as though I'm going that fast. Also, when I slow down and stop at a red light it sounds like it putters as if it were to shut off. I do have an engine light on which turned off after I had the serpentine belt/pulley replaced 2 weeks ago but it is back on with the same problem.
When the engine light first came on, I received the code p0705 which doesnt really narrow the options however I was able to use seafoam which smoothed out the ride but now I'm kinda stuck as to what to try next.

Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks
Old 12-22-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: humming sound while trying to accelerate/slow to pick up speed on take off

P0705 is not a valid code for a 97.
Maybe a different code number?
Old 12-23-2013
Registered!!

Apologies, it was P0505.
Old 12-23-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

P0505 is just for idle speed, computer can't control is as it thinks it should.
IAC valve clogged the screen (if it has that type of IAC)?
Old 12-23-2013
Registered!!

It does have the IAC valve. Put the seafoam in there to clean it, and the light went off. Came back on for about a week and a half and then, today after work, I turn my car on and the CEL light is off but the issue still remains while trying to accelerate, it doesn't take off like I think it should and it feels as though there's not alot of power. Also this loud humming that sounds almost like a dirt bike