Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic ac problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic ac problem

I have a question. Is it normal on freon evacuation to see compressor oil in the overflow bottle on the evac machine? I had my ac recharged and checked. It was down on freon but the guy mentioned he never saw that much oil during an evacuation. Also my compressor seems to bind up periodically during very hot days on the highway. You can feel the car spudder and blow not to cold air. Also when you have it idle, and bring the car steady to about 2500 rpm, I can see the clutch on the compressor bind up and bog the engine down. Does anyone know ac out their? On a 75 degree day it seems to be ok on the highway, its wierd. Thank you
Old 07-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 civic ac problem

Originally Posted by velozp
I have a question. Is it normal on freon evacuation to see compressor oil in the overflow bottle on the evac machine?
Some, maybe yes. Depends on conditions though.
I had my ac recharged and checked. It was down on freon but the guy mentioned he never saw that much oil during an evacuation. Also my compressor seems to bind up periodically during very hot days on the highway. You can feel the car spudder and blow not to cold air. Also when you have it idle, and bring the car steady to about 2500 rpm, I can see the clutch on the compressor bind up and bog the engine down. Does anyone know ac out their? On a 75 degree day it seems to be ok on the highway, its wierd. Thank you
IF the system has far too much oil in it, that can cause system pressure readings and symptoms very similar to a refrigerant overcharge.

Too much oil can also cause the compressor to try to lock up and cause damage.

Now the question becomes: Where did all the excess oil come from?? And what will you do about it?