Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic EX Charging System bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM for Lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic EX Charging System bad

I did a midtronics test on my battery awhile ago and I don't remember if it said it was good or bad or neither but it did tell me to test the charging system so I did and it failed. I took a look at the alternator and it looked pretty old. So if the alternator is fried and the car is running off the battery the engine may idle rough right? Well it does. Once she's all warmed up when I come to a complete stop it will idle quite low. When I click the window up button the idle will raise for a bit then drop down again. Same with pressing the brake. Will a new battery and alternator solve my rough idle?
Old 01-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 Civic EX Charging System bad

looked pretty old
Since when does old=bad?
Did anyone test it (I know you just said you did, but how)? Are the fuses all good?
and the car is running off the battery the engine may idle rough right?
Not if the battery is still charged up. Unless the alt is pulling some excessive load.

Will a new battery and alternator solve my rough idle?
Probably not, but maybe....