Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic EX having *Terrible* sputter problem.. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97CivicExGlen is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Civic EX having *Terrible* sputter problem.. please help!

I start my car, and 3-5 minutes later, it starts to sputter and act like its starving for gas, as if I let off the gas. I can just tap the gas repeatedly, and it will continue to go, (throttle will temporarily work, in spurts), but if i hold the petal, it acts as if im letting go of the petal, and it sputters really bad. if i mash the petal down, i get one of two things, very horrible sounds (so i dont do this anymore.. learned the first time) or if i time it right, i get it to go with the higher RPM and it acts fine for a second, then gors back to the problem. and it acts like this until i pull over and let it idle and go through a little sputter fit, and then its fine... until i hit a bump, stop for a sign, or red light, then when i go again, it does it again. its really freaking me out, makes me wonder if I'm going to make it to work everyday.

I have seen many issues on these forums that are almost similar, but not quite what i am experiencing. I've read peoples posts saying everything from change the plugs/wires/distributor, to vacuum leaks, to air filter, to fuel pump/filter/injectors, to sensors, to fuses, to head gasket. and I really just dont have the money to go down the whole list, especially if i do it in the wrong order, and fix it on the last one!

I have replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and run injector cleaner through it several times, got new plugs, and it hasnt been too terribly long since i had gotten a new head gasket

Someone please help! Thank you in advance