Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Having Issues with Magnaflow!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WKD DRGN is an unknown quantity at this point
Having Issues with Magnaflow!!

I recently got a cat. converter from Magnaflow to replace my bad OEM one on my car. I wrote Magnaflow before making this purchase and asked through an email if installing this part would throw a CEL, they replied with as long as it is not a Cali emissions vehicle the cat. converter would perform as needed. Well, I've called and called and called some more asking dealerships if my vehicle is Cali emissions or Federal. They've all stated by my VIN it is Federal emissions. I even learned that my vehicle was built in OHIO. After the CEL came on I took it to a mechanic who told me the o2 sensors were good that it is indeed the Cat. Converter. Called up Magnaflow and they told me without the sticker being under my hood (the hood was replaced) that there was no telling if it was a Fed or Cali emissions vehicle. Not without a SMOG test. I live in Southern VA we don't SMOG test here so I have no way of getting to a 5 gas analyzer (??) They also told me that the VIN number was NOT a surefire way to tell. What I'd like to know is what do I do in this situation?? I think Magnaflow is just throwing out a bunch of BS so they don't have to give me a refund or replacement. I'm at my wit's end here...