Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Did my son get burned?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did my son get burned?

My son has had his license for about a year. He found a 2000 Civic "EX" w /Manual trans.

It had a few bugs that we were fixing and noticed the stamp on the engine block had D16Y7 instead of the D16Y8 which is what it suppose to have. "Y7" is not a V-Tec where as the "Y8" is.

He is really mad about it and don't know what is option is? Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 09-26-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough
Re: Did my son get burned?

There's probably nothing you can do seeing as how these were things you should've checked for prior to purchasing the vehicle :S
Old 09-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if it has a moonroof, its an EX for sure. then if the engine is different, they prolly swapped it out sometime before selling. shari is right, used vehicles are sold as-is.

why is he so upset, because of the vtec? those engines are very similar. torque is nearly the same, and you only get +20 crank hp from the y8 which you would not even notice unless you are taking it to redline and racing the car.
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Seby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura about

swap time

Originally Posted by August59
My son has had his license for about a year. He found a 2000 Civic "EX" w /Manual trans.

It had a few bugs that we were fixing and noticed the stamp on the engine block had D16Y7 instead of the D16Y8 which is what it suppose to have. "Y7" is not a V-Tec where as the "Y8" is.

He is really mad about it and don't know what is option is? Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
if it has a moonroof, its an EX for sure. then if the engine is different, they prolly swapped it out sometime before selling. shari is right, used vehicles are sold as-is.

why is he so upset, because of the vtec? those engines are very similar. torque is nearly the same, and you only get +20 crank hp from the y8 which you would not even notice unless you are taking it to redline and racing the car.
You hit the nail on the head. He just feels bad because he didn't get the "V-Tec"
Old 09-26-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Technically speaking, the D16Y7 came on the Canadian SE/EX model... The -Y8 came on the US/UK EX model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#D16Y7

That said, depending on your location, could have easily been a Canadian model.
Old 09-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by August59
You hit the nail on the head. He just feels bad because he didn't get the "V-Tec"
Now you get to learn one of the great things about Hondas.

Basically all D-series engines pre-2000 use interchangeable head castings, which means you can put a better head on the block without much trouble. Including a d16y8, d15b, d16z6 and a few others. It sucks that this happened, but it can easily be turned into an opportunity to learn more about his engine.

This is basically the ultimate write-up on head swaps.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...write-ups.html
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

juan_p__m is an unknown quantity at this point

If no "as is" contract was signed, you might be able to take it to court and get your money back, but more trouble than it is worth, good luck...
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

Seby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by juan_p__m
If no "as is" contract was signed, you might be able to take it to court and get your money back, but more trouble than it is worth, good luck...

IF he wins, court coats are paid by the seller, so if the car is a pos and he spent a lot of money, it might be worth the trouble
Old 10-05-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol tell the judge he got robbed out of vtec
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
lol tell the judge he got robbed out of vtec

lol, i mean if it's supposed to have the y8 i don't see why not lol, that can be his argument
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

Thanks guys for all the replies and suggestions. I don't know if the going to court would make finanacial since, but I'm going to check just in case!

I could always try to find a a D16Y8 and drop in it, but would that be worth my time?

Here is a good questions for all of you. Money is an object, but not a terrible one. If I found a good D18Y could I do some wok to it to give it a good bit of punch, say 50 hp.

What would be the best easiest engine swap for this version of Civic. I'm geussing it is an OCD2, but other than that I'm lost on all of these H, B and JDM engine stuff. I know some of the JDM engines are way out of my league are far as cost go. Would a a D16Y8 with new pistons and cams with head possibly shaved and engine bored to really clean up cylinder walls be of ant idea (interferences??). I'm not big on turbos, but could be talked into it with right information. Tell me what you think everybody!!! Thanks
Old 10-10-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you're gonna swap, I'd say just drop in a B16 (like found in the 99-00 Si).. but that's what I'd do. Sure, a little more money, but it'd be more fun.. lol
Old 10-30-2011
Registered!!

I just wanted to bump this one time to see if anymore advice or opinions are out there????? Thanks