Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 honda civic ex car boggs down and stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickrolando is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 honda civic ex car boggs down and stalls while driving

So I was on my 30 minute commute to my job this morning and i felt my car made a jerk then I put it in 1st gear b/c of traffic and i moved a little bit and when i hit the gas the engine bogged down and i tried hitting gas again same thing until it stalled

Tried to start it back up, the starter kept turning over and finally it started and i tried to move and the same thing kept happening until it stalled again.

Got it towed off the parkway

What is the first idea's as to what it probably is?
Old 09-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 honda civic ex car boggs down and stalls while driving

possibly the fuel pump died? or timing belt skipped a tooth. its hard to say for sure because so many things can cause the car to drive badly.
Old 09-07-2011
Registered!!

Its at the mechanic's now. I'm hoping its a fuel pump. He said if it is $175.00 for the fuel pump and $80.00 to install it.

Don't think its the timing chain because its running horrible still.

Do you mean the fuel pump may be DIEING not DEAD yet?
Old 09-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah you might just have really low fuel pressure. im sure he will check the pressure and go from there.
Old 09-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah you might just have really low fuel pressure. im sure he will check the pressure and go from there.
Just spoke to the mechanic, hes saying for w.e. reason, he does not think its the fuel pump. he said hes in the middle of cleaning the distributor n took cap off n **** and is gonna take it for a ride soon n see how its running. idk tho i feel like it would of been the fuel pump/filter?
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

So 40 dollars later, all it was, happened to be an electrical connector somewhere in the distributor cap and it was loose shaking on the connection, so they fix it and made sure it would stay on, been good every since for the past 24 hours!
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

TreeFortRichard can only hope to improve

damn...I was just going to suggest this. I have a 99 civic ex and had the same problem. It turned out that the 4 wires connecting from the distributor to the spark plugs had corroded/worn out and were letting moisture in. Whenever it was wet out I lost power and the engine was essentially misfiring. If you were going fast enough you could power through it, but once you slow down it dies..
Old 03-30-2014
Registered!!

xr2flight is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I'm brand new to this forum and this sounds exactly like what happened to me this morning. I'm driving a 2004 coupe ex. I don't see any further responses though. Is there any update or advice out there? I'm still reading through the results of my search and I'm hopeful that I'll find something helpful.

Thanks in advance! Meantime, I'll have a look at the distributor cap and its connects.

After reading through, there are many suggestions and things to look into. So I just tried starting up the vehicle to give the most info I can about the vehicle. The car doesn't seem to have any issue with starting, but just a few seconds and it dies.

I

Last edited by xr2flight; 03-30-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add info